Looking for CG/Arch firms with GIS experience

pkgeo

Hi,

First time post here, so I am not even sure if this is the right forum for this message. Anyway...

I work for a GIS consulting firm. We have a project proposal that requires integrating GIS data with 3d models, walkthrough, visualization of housing developments, and putting it all on the desktops and the web via Win Media Player. Experience with Envision and 3ds kind of sw would be a requirement.

We know GIS, but also believe demand for this kind of GIS+3d visualization work is only going to increase. We will build capacity for this in-house, but in the meantime,

we are looking for potential firms with this latter expertise to partner with. The firm should be a MBE/WBE (minority/women owned employer) based in Chicago-area.

Tia.

we are looking for potential firms with this latter expertise to partner with. The firm should be a MBE/WBE (minority/women owned employer) based in Chicago-area.Tia.
So you're a bunch of white guys pushing proposals for 'urban renewal' that involves public money and you feel you have to be able to list your consultants (you did not really mean PARTNER, now did you) by their minority status because the 'team' lacks any other hints of diversity or community connection. Maybe I mis-read your post.

We have a project proposal that requires integrating GIS data with 3d models, walkthrough, visualization of housing developments
There is nothing hard about integrating GIS with 3D data. GIS is simply an organizational system for spacial data. But in the end you are just talking about a site and what goes on it. That's what architectural visualization is all about. Easy.

It looks like you are looking for a renderer. I just wrapped up a project yesterday for a proposal that required integrating GIS data with 3d models, visualization of housing developments and urban renewal. No walkthroughs, though, they were not needed this time. Unfortunately I cannot help you myself because I am a white guy. And I'm not in the Chicago area. I know a number of good renderers in the Chicago area, but they are white guys, too.

I did notice that while in a dinner break at my clients office--where we worked a relaxing 40 hour weekend to get a proposal book ready--the developer was lammenting the need to find some local woman or minority owned firms to pad their 'credentials'. Oh, I'm sorry, I guess the term is 'partner'.

I would suggest you go to ASAI (American society of Architectural Illustrators) and search by state for a renderer in the Chicago are. Then just call them up and ask about their abilities in 3D visualization, as well as their sex and skin color.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

So you're a bunch of white guys pushing proposals for 'urban renewal' that involves public money and you feel you have to be able to list your consultants (you did not really mean PARTNER, now did you) by their minority status because the 'team' lacks any other hints of diversity or community connection. Maybe I mis-read your post.

you are harsh ;). Actually, I am not white (very, very brown... not a hint of any white race), and I did not mention anywhere that I am a guy.

The MBE/WBE is not my requirement. We are GIS folks and we work for anyone requiring our services irrespective of what color their money is ;).

We are not trying to pad our resume... the partnering firm will be a partner. We won't claim that we have the 3d experience... we are being sought specifically for our GIS expertise which, I guess, is pretty good.

There is nothing hard about integrating GIS with 3D data. GIS is simply an organizational system for spacial data. But in the end you are just talking about a site and what goes on it. That's what architectural visualization is all about. Easy.

I know there is nothing hard about the integration and we know what GIS is (remember... we work with GIS and computers). What we don't have is the capacity to do the visualization/3d/walkthrough stuff.

Unfortunately I cannot help you myself because I am a white guy. And I'm not in the Chicago area.

Then you shouldn't have answered. I asked a legit question with all respect for the forum and its members, and in spite of knowing that you can't help me, you answered and wrote a humiliating email in a public forum. That was not called for.

I would suggest you go to ASAI (American society of Architectural Illustrators) and search by state for a renderer in the Chicago are. Then just call them up and ask about their abilities in 3D visualization, as well as their sex and skin color.

fortunately, hidden in that unnecessarily nasty-toned quip there is a good suggestion. Thanks for the tip on ASAI. I will do that.

Hopefully, in the meantime some here too will send me more tips.

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. I am finding out about the residency/licensing requirements and will contact you soon. Btw, turns out the firm doesn't have to be MBE/WBE (I didn't even know of these terms until yesterday!)... I think the requirement is that at least one partner/sub has to be MBE/WBE. But, I am clarifying that as well.

Re. fee... I am assuming fees would be based on work performed -- hourly, I guess.

I am still at the very initial fact-finding, firm-finding stage. Once I have a few contacts that might be interested, then we can talk fees, etc.

Many tia.

• Administrators

Man Ernest you must be having a bad day or something. You can put your claws away now ;)

Tia, you can also try this link: http://www.cgarchitect.com/resources/CGlookup/default.asp?searchCountry=United+States+of+America&searchChecked=1&offset=0

While they are sorted by Country it might be worth a quick search to see how many migth be located in the Chicago Area.

Another option migth be to post something to the Jobs section of out site. (see top menu bar). I know that many companies have told me they have receved hundreds of replies from postings made here. You will probably get much less being so region and skill specific, but it's worth a try and free.

Thanks for your reply...Then you shouldn't have answered.
We're off to a great start here.

I asked a legit question...you...wrote a humiliating email in a public forum. That was not called for.
I called it for what it is--if I mis-interpreted what you are seeking or why please correct me. What would be 'humiliating' is being excluded from consideration for reason of accident of birth. As a matter of fact, your post is to a board read internationally. It reads "this does not apply to 99.99% of the audience of this forum". I certainly do not oppose your posting it, quite the opposite. But how can I not be a little offended by being told I cannot be a candidate for an opportunity for which I am extremely qualified only because of my race and/or gender? As if those matter to how well a firm performs in rendering?

And then there is the geographical restriction. Is that so you can work elbow-to-elbow with the renderers? I doubt it. This is not a job offering, it's project-based outsourcing work. This forum is populated with people who could perform. Many of us work for clients in other states or countries on a regular basis. I'm sure that for a good contract many people would be willing to travel for meetings and maybe even on-site work. So it just looks like another arbitrary 'political position' issue. Saying that these things are not your idea does not remove you from ownership of posting them.

I cannot help find irony in your posting "white people need not apply" and you telling me I posted an "unnecessarily nasty-toned" response. Just how do you expect people to take what you wrote?

The project I was working on this weekend was a bold effort to bring golf and yachting to an existing inner-city neighborhood with a minimum of eminent domain eviction.

OK, I'm sorry to all for getting on the soapbox. I will stop typing now and get back to work.

I never though your intent was mean-spirited and the intentions behind it are well-meaning and everyone is working hard to do good work that helps people. Good luck with your serch.