Closed Thread

Thread: How do you deal with houses that aren't surrounded by trees but by other buildings...

Name
    AndrewRP Reza
    Forum Username
    andrewrpreza

Default How do you deal with houses that aren't surrounded by trees but by other buildings...

Hello,

This is more of a general question, I was wondering what do you guys do in these types of situations...

Let's say your assignment is a house which is A) Surrounded by ugly stuff like old buildings that are decayed, or B) The house is actually in a flat piece of land, no trees in real life.

What do you do in these situations? If you need to take "aerial-ish" views, do you create fake scenery even though its not there and it will never be? or do you just fade the horizon to white or something...

I ask because a lot of my assignments are small buildings/houses and these are sometimes in poor areas of the city.

Thanks

Name
    Chris Floris
    Forum Username
    Sindala

Netherlands

Default Re: How do you deal with houses that aren't surrounded by trees but by other building

If its possible i like to get an aerial photo, but sometimes i simply cut the scene so it kind of looks like a scale model on a table, also showing some earth on the edges. I've also photographed the surroundings and modeled and phototextured it in Sketchup (doesnt always look nice though). But my favorite is to have a photo made by one of those guys with a remote helicopter.

Name
    Devin Johnston
    Forum Username
    Maxer

United States

Default Re: How do you deal with houses that aren't surrounded by trees but by other building

You could always take background photographs of the area and do a perspective match, if the client is looking for realism. Otherwise I'd just do some simple mass model of the surrounding buildings that way you're not distracted by what's around you.
    I make fake things for real people to convince them fake things are real.

Name
    AndrewRP Reza
    Forum Username
    andrewrpreza

Gotcha, thanks for the tips guys...

I think i'll just build generic stuff around since the actual surroundings on this particular client are almost poverty looking... not gonna look good in the render.

Closed Thread

Thread Information