Archicad to Max

Devin Johnston

It's been a few years since I looked into this so I figured why not see if anything has changed, currently I export .3ds files from ArchiCAD by material. As you know any changes in the model require a complete reworking of the scene as materials and mapping are gone. What I really want to do is use the file link manager so any changes made to the exported DWG are automatically reflected in my Max model. I'm not an ArchiCAD user myself so I'm not aware of the changes made to the program, is this possible?

I use 3ds export (with layers/materials option), then use fbx converter default FBX 2013 settings(embed media), and link the FBX.

As usual when reload "keep max materials/assingments", and it works.

Modifiers like "edit poly" are not overwritten, not perfect but worth the effort.

It´s 1-2 extra mouseclicks, some more for each project you add the first time, and the convert extra time.

I use SSD´s so about 15sec on a 30mb Archicad project, that export into a 10mb 3ds file.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All,

I use Max and have been working for many years with architects using Archicad.

For all these years i've used the .3ds export, and wishing there was something better. Keeping the archicad hierarchy and avoiding all those Multi/Sub materials.

At last someone has done something ! It's a plugin called din3d. The Archicad exporter is free, you pay only for the importer (60 euros).

By far this is the best "productivity gain for the bucks" i've seen in many years !

It's not a big company software but a developper from hungary doing this alone, so i think he deserved to be know. His work helps me a lot ! (He even actually took a request i've made into account and developped an option i needed).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I use 3ds export (with layers/materials option), then use fbx converter default FBX 2013 settings(embed media), and link the FBX.

As usual when reload "keep max materials/assingments", and it works.

Modifiers like "edit poly" are not overwritten, not perfect but worth the effort.

It´s 1-2 extra mouseclicks, some more for each project you add the first time, and the convert extra time.

I use SSD´s so about 15sec on a 30mb Archicad project, that export into a 10mb 3ds file.

I use these steps but max says "unable to attach this file; the file may be missing, corrupted, or may not contain valid data". Max can import file. When i want to use file link manager this happens. If this work will be best workflow for Archicad to 3dmax. How can you do this, please help.

It works flawlessly for me, in Max 2013 with updated FBX plugins/converter etc it´s faster then ever.

What ver of Archicad/Max do you use?, perhaps some nonstandard geometry from Archicad addons make problems?

If upload the file I´ll have a look at it.

Archicad 14 64bit and 3dmax design 2011 64bit. I try standar archicad tools like wall-slab. in FBX converter 2012 i choose FBX2011. it converts and max can import model without any problem. but file link manager can't import and says "unable to attach this file; the file may be missing, corrupted, or may not contain valid data" for same FBX file.

Thank you :) I tried your fbx but max says same error message. I can import but can't linking. May be max 2011 cause this. if you upload the max file and file link settings screen capture image i can compare my settings with. I appreciate you for helping me.

Best regards

Engin EREL

Architect

Så hyggelig Å treffe på bygdinger :)

Er en smule påseilet, men vi skal fikse dette PÅ mandag.

Jeg er Revit entusiast, men er Archicad på min hals for friheten alene!, har et sært forhold til Archicad, så du er i familiært område hvis liker Arkicad :)

• 10 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Din3D appeared to be a pretty promising importer/exporter between ArchiCAD and 3ds. I quickly got my hands on Din3D after reading through this thread. However, one problem I came across is the material assignment. The objects are fine being divided by stories, element, and layers; but I can't get quite get the window to work properly. The window frame and glass are imported as a single object with the same material. When I try to detach by using native editable mesh modifier or Soulburn objectdetacher. The frame and glass get separated, but the glass is broken up into 2 face, which makes the material assignment a bit annoying when working with a mid-size commercial project. Anyone can help provide a quick guide or rules of thumb when working in ArchiCAD model, which will eventually be imported to 3Ds, to make life easier??

Another question I have is whether 3ds and ArchiCAD model has the capability to link/replace ArchiCAD model instead of re-importing every time and having to re-assign when the model get minor adjustments from time to time.??

Thanks in advance.