How can I match a Vray physical camera settings to an existing 3ds Max Camera?

loac

I googled it and all many of the results come up with Lele's Vray tools, which no longer works.

I have an existing 3ds Max target camera, and I just need to get a new Vray physical camera to have the exact same settings (focal length, FOV).

Any help would be very appreciated!

Have you tried just creating a Vray Camera and aligning its target to your Max Camera's target and then aligning your camera to your camera? Both types have manual controls for FOV, Focal Length, Etc.. so I don't understand what the issue is?

The other thing is that you don't need to use a Vray camera. In the environment rollout (8) you can just apply a Vray Exposure control to your scene and the Max camera will work the same as a Vray Cam.

Have you tried just creating a Vray Camera and aligning its target to your Max Camera's target and then aligning your camera to your camera? Both types have manual controls for FOV, Focal Length, Etc.. so I don't understand what the issue is?

True, however the Max camera controls don't seem to mean the same thing as the Vray camera. The two main settings in the Max camera are "lens" and "FOV". The Vray camera doesn't have a setting for "lens", but I assume "film gate" is the same thing. "FOV" can be set in both the max camera and the Vray camera, but apparently they mean different things, because matching them gives me two very different results.

Perhaps you can enlighten me.

That is a good tip about applying the Vray exposure control, however I would like to try to figure out the Vray camera.

Thanks for your response!

I got the two cameras lined up fine with the "align" command. It is just the FOV that is giving me trouble. I am doing an animation, and at certain frames someone else is going to do a still render that should align to the animation frame. That is why it needs to be very close if not the same.

I got the two cameras lined up fine with the "align" command. It is just the FOV that is giving me trouble. I am doing an animation, and at certain frames someone else is going to do a still render that should align to the animation frame. That is why it needs to be very close if not the same.

They can't use the animation camera and render out a still frame from that? Why use 2 cameras when you already have one in the scene? If you render already looks fine with your standard camera, why complicate things now and introduce a vray camera? If you like they way it looks at say frame 255, then just render frame 255 as a still.

Seems to me like this should be a non issue and it's just over complication.

They can't use the animation camera and render out a still frame from that? Why use 2 cameras when you already have one in the scene? If you render already looks fine with your standard camera, why complicate things now and introduce a vray camera? If you like they way it looks at say frame 255, then just render frame 255 as a still.

Seems to me like this should be a non issue and it's just over complication.

Because someone else, is rendering the stills and modeling everything in Sketchup. They are going to use Vray for Sketchup for the stills. So the workflow is: They model and render and set up the scenes (cameras) in Sketchup, send me the sketchup model. I then import the sketchup model into Max, and create the animation. The scenes (cameras) are imported fine, and I am matching them with my Vray camera, which is animated.

Sorry, I should have made this clear from the beginning.