Vray Light wont work, any ideas why?

christifferdalkarls

Hi, this is my first post here on this forum and I must start by saying that I am not an expert once it comes to 3D studio max. I picked it up during a class in my photography school and I thought why not give it a try? So I've been going thru some tutorials regarding modelling and rendering interior. I work with 3Ds max 2010 x64 with V-ray adv 2.20.02.

My problem.

I'm currently trying to recreate this tutorial and everyting has gone nice and easy untill I was setting up my Vraylight boxes infront of the windows. They are casting light in the viewport but wont show up in the render. I've also added a VraySun which works fine. Thats what truobles me. Anyone knows what might cause it and have a fix for it?

I realy appreciate any help I can get since my knowledge is very limited.

The tutorial I was talking about. Stuck at step 55.

http://www.2d3dtutorials.com/3d-studio-max/how-to-model-living-room-furniture-with-3ds-max/4/

I can upload a render with the VrayLights and you will see how it turns out. It's completly black. I will also link the 3dsmax file if anyone could look into it maybe?

3Ds Max File:

http://www.4shared.com/file/S5v5ihDz/Kids_room_extended_Vad_blir_de.html

Failure.jpg

/Christoffer

www.dalkarls.com

I don't want to join the download site to look at your file, but there could be a few things going on. Did you set the multiplier values of your lights to the proper values? Are the vector arrows of your lights pointing inward at your camera? Did you use a Vray Physical camera? This one is important because the tutorial is using a max camera and there are no exposure controls that are automatically set. a Vray camera has quite a few defaults that will darken you scene.

I think in the end though, the plane lights are not really "lighting" your scene. This tutorial is teaching you how to render an interior without windows. Typically you would model a window and glass and create a material that allowed the light to come in and cast onto the floor. These plane lights are simulating this I believe.

My guess is that you are either using a VRay camera or that the lights were never supposed to be for overall lighting of the scene. Perhaps both.

@Corey, those lights are vray lights (planes) like MR sky portals and they come in handy in simulating light through windows, openings etc.

There's nothing wrong there, except your point of their vectors' directions (they are OK there in tutorial), though that too is controlled by settings in their modifier panel. Its mainly the camera and its exposure, Chris.

@Corey, those lights are vray lights (planes) like MR sky portals and they come in handy in simulating light through windows, openings etc.

There's nothing wrong there, except your point of their vectors' directions (they are OK there in tutorial), though that too is controlled by settings in their modifier panel. Its mainly the camera and its exposure, Chris.

Im well aware of what a skylight portal is. In his images, though, the tick box is off. This is not the method the tutorial is using.

Also, my suggestions were of things he may have done wrong in his own following of tutorial, not things i thought were wrong in the tutorial.