VRAY RT is not working with the CUDA engine (2xGTX680)

3dvizual

• 1 month later...

REading because I have the same problem. CPU mode renders fine, but OpenCL and CUDA mode do not. Actually in my case, CUDA mode crashes vray.exe. I have a Quadro FX 580. The log says something about having a pre-2.0 architecture error. I'm guessing RT is not supporting my GPU.

Any advise? Martin and I are kindly asking.

Thanks Scott Parris.

I let it run for 3 hours and nothing happened and the vray.exe console reads errors.

Here is what comes out in OpenCL mode:

Error Out of host memory (-6) at line 941 , in file ./src/ocl_tracedevice.cpp !!

!

Error Out of host memory (-6) at line 224 , in file ./src/ocl_tracedevice.cpp !!

!

Writing crash dump to "C:\Users\SALVADOR\AppData\Local\Temp\VRay.dmp"

Error Out of host memory (-6) at line 941 , in file ./src/ocl_tracedevice.cpp !!

!

!

Unhandled exception occured, will exit render loop

!

!

Error Out of host memory (-6) at line 651 , in file ./src/ocl_tracedevice.cpp !!

!

!

!

!

[2012/Oct/24|17:06:40] Device 0 statistics: N/A

[2012/Oct/24|17:06:40] Closing RTEngine

[2012/Oct/24|17:06:40] Max. Mpaths per second: 0.000000

[2012/Oct/24|17:06:40] Sampling level reached: 0 samples per pixel

[2012/Oct/24|17:06:40] Number of raycasts: 0

[2012/Oct/24|17:06:40] Camera rays: 0

[2012/Oct/24|17:06:40] Shadow rays: 0

[2012/Oct/24|17:06:40] GI rays: 0

[2012/Oct/24|17:06:40] Reflection rays: 0

[2012/Oct/24|17:06:40] Refraction rays: 0

[2012/Oct/24|17:06:40] Unshaded rays: 0

[2012/Oct/24|17:06:40] Number of intersectable primitives: 0

[2012/Oct/24|17:06:40] SD triangles: 0

[2012/Oct/24|17:06:40] MB triangles: 0

[2012/Oct/24|17:06:40] Static primitives: 0

[2012/Oct/24|17:06:40] Moving primitives: 0

[2012/Oct/24|17:06:40] Infinite primitives: 0

Out of memory, apparently. Is there a workaround?

Edited by salvador

Hi Jimenez

Chaosgroup solved my problem gaining control over my PC, to see the problem.

I think the problem was something with, rights, administrator settings or something like that. I think it was a bug in the software which will be corrected in future releases.

there is some restriction limit on which cuda / open cl can render. Try a simple scene first. For example a car. If cuda/open cl work fine with it then that means that ur gpu is OK with vray. Maybe its just ur scene setting / size that makes the error.

regards,

muck

Thanks for the reply muck. Test scene was merely an array of teapots on a VRay plane and three Vray lights. GI on and set to defaults. Pretty simple.

So, I think I have an issue like Martin's or my GPU is not big enough. CPU works harder as the scenes gain in complexity but still does the job.

Not all nVidia cards are supported with VRay Rt. Actually I think cards with at least 1GB of RAM are highly recommended, and as you've written yourself, probably a fast i7 or Xeon is not that slower before you've invested in a card with some serious horsepower.

As far as VRay RT not properly recognizing GTX 5xx/6xx cards etc that are known to work with it, removing completely and re-installing drivers. If that fails, try rolling back a version or two. This fixes 99% of relevant issues.

Thank you Dimitris. By rolling back, do you mean the GPU driver?

Yes, sorry if it was not understood: sometimes updating to newer graphic drivers, makes things work slower or not work at all.

This might be solved by completely un-installing the driver package and install it again, or roll-back i.e. use an older version of drivers that is proven to work, instead of frustrating yourself trying to make the newer driver package to work.

In the vast majority of cases, newer drivers increase compatibility with new program versions and for gaming cards specifically, improve frame rates with newer games. There is rarely a true performance gain with cards that have been in the market for a couple of years or so, as most of the bugs/issues usually get worked out earlier on. So sticking with the driver that "works" is actually not a bad idea, and comes with no compromises.

Well, that makes perfect sense to me. So, as a final question, where could I find a "working" driver version number for my FX 580? Chaosgroup forums? I'll search anyway.

Thanks again Dimitris.

Don't know if there are any...:(

If you really want to, you can add a cheap GTX and run it as GPU renderer accelerator - keeping your lil Quadro for display accelerator...think the 550 ti is a great value these days (around $100 new), esp. if you find one mildly used.

Edited by dtolios

Thanks ;)

Sadly, a new finding was made: I don't have an Nvidia Quadro FX 580, but in fact a PNY Quadro FX 580; I know there are significant differences and after reading the specs, I know I have only 32 CUDA cores.

Back to the search. . .

Edited by salvador

Ok, so in the end, the bottom line is:

CPU - works fine

OpenCL - crashes on memory issue

CUDA - crashes on version 2.0 support issue.

Conclusion: Get a better GPU.

If you have to have VRay RT GPU, yes...

There are a few nice offers out there atm - at least in the US - as the 5xx series gradually get phased out by the 6xx GTX series, but that does not reflect actual performance: the low end GTX 5xx are still pretty good as far as performance goes...

The GTX 550 ti 1GB is a "bargain" for its price ($100), and so are some GTX 560ti 2GB I've seen recently ($160-170 - again, at least in the US market).

A good thing with the unbiased rendereres, like VRay RT GPU, is that you can keep your quadro too if you want - in case viewport performance is slower with the GTX card - and use the gaming card just for the calculation portion of VRay RT.

Make sure your PSU is up to the task before buying a GTX card tho, those are often quite power hungry (you will need at least 150-200W headroom in your PSU capacity to play it safe).

• 4 weeks later...

Great advice from Dmitris. I snagged a GTX 570 with 2.5GB RAM and 480 CUDA cores on newegg.com over the summer. With real time GPU rendering RAM is almost as important as the CUDA cores. Your entire scene needs to fit onto the memory of the card, or else no dice. I believe this card is in the sweet spot in terms of value. It's out of stock on newegg, but here's the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130687.

If you do purchase a suitable card and OpenCL doesn't function in Vray, follow this sage advice:

Go to your Start Menu and in the Search programs and files dialog box, type in "View advanced system settings." Next follow these steps once you are there. This is for Win 7.

Step 1: In the Systems Properties dialog box click on the Advanced tab.

Step 2: Click on the Environment Variables button.

Step 3: In the Environment Variables dialog box and then in the System Variables box there is no VRAY_OPENCL_DEVICES environment variable for GPU rendering. We will create one.

Step 4: Click on NEW and in the New System Variable dialog box enter the following:

Variable name: VRAY_OPENCL_DEVICES

Variable value: 0 (the number 0) The 0 stands for one graphics card.

Next click OK.

Now in your V-Ray RT renderer tab under engine switch it to OpenCL (single kernel). It should work.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Etor. You get to this same thing by right-clicking Register OpenCL device in the Chaosgroup folder and running as administrator.

I'm rising some funds now to upgrade the system; hopefully I'll be bothering you guys with hardware-related advice soon.

• 1 month later...

Hello, well I had same problem and by searching as a maniac here and there i found that is DRIVER's ISSUE. For GTX 580 phantom that I own, works only with some specific drivers and versions before it. To be more specific it works with: 270 version and before that. There is also a workaround if u want to have latest drivers:

- Install the 270 version

- Go to temp folder and find a file with .clbin - right click it - check READ ONLY

- Install now the current driver version and it works 100% tested

It has nothing to do with admin rights or other issues i did quite a research for that. Let me know if that helps :)

• 5 months later...

Etor, Thank you very much, your process worked like a charm.

My "Select OpenCL devices for V-Ray RT GPU" was not working, even with admin account and not everything is working fine.

Just sent an e-mail to Chaos Group. They really listen and this issue should be resolved soon.

Great advice from Dmitris. I snagged a GTX 570 with 2.5GB RAM and 480 CUDA cores on newegg.com over the summer. With real time GPU rendering RAM is almost as important as the CUDA cores. Your entire scene needs to fit onto the memory of the card, or else no dice. I believe this card is in the sweet spot in terms of value. It's out of stock on newegg, but here's the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130687.

If you do purchase a suitable card and OpenCL doesn't function in Vray, follow this sage advice:

Go to your Start Menu and in the Search programs and files dialog box, type in "View advanced system settings." Next follow these steps once you are there. This is for Win 7.

Step 1: In the Systems Properties dialog box click on the Advanced tab.

Step 2: Click on the Environment Variables button.

Step 3: In the Environment Variables dialog box and then in the System Variables box there is no VRAY_OPENCL_DEVICES environment variable for GPU rendering. We will create one.

Step 4: Click on NEW and in the New System Variable dialog box enter the following:

Variable name: VRAY_OPENCL_DEVICES

Variable value: 0 (the number 0) The 0 stands for one graphics card.

Next click OK.

Now in your V-Ray RT renderer tab under engine switch it to OpenCL (single kernel). It should work.

• 3 weeks later...

driver API error 999

I am going to sleep now, tomorow I will update drivers, what about multiscatter and proxies, do they need to fit in the memory of graphic card? and how can I know how heavy is my scene with proxies and multiscatter grass ?