Future in Architect Rendering for an SFX and rendering artist

issacdhan

Hello friends,

I am a SFX artist, usually work with Maya fluid, Real Flow and Naiad.

I use many other software used in industry to get the output.

While showing my demo of a SFX shot, the Supervisor said you don't have a final output.

So I started concentrating on Rendering (as I was already studying how any rendering software works internally, and a background of film and computer science was helpful). I found I am able to get good images in less time. So I thought is it ok to change the field? Here in India they pay 250$ - 600$ /month to a fx artist. If you are really good and company is big, you can get 700-950$/month.

Can I earn more in Architect Rendering?

Please check some of my works

http://www.cgarchitect.com/members/view/issacdhan

http://vimeo.com/issacdhan/videos :rolleyes:

• Administrators

Based on the salary survey we just conducted, 70% indicated in India they make below $15,000 per year ($1250/mo), but approx. 14% of people answered they make between $15-20K ($1250-$1667/mo). A few more than this.

Based on your portfolio alone however I think you will need a lot more experience and/or projects to build out your portfolio. The examples you have provided are not anywhere near enough to convince someone to hire you on past imagery alone. The VFX supervisor's comments apply here too, you have no real final outputs, just small tests. Even if you recreate architectural photos you see in books or make your own projects, this could be enough if they are of sufficient quality, but right now there is not enough real-world work there to judge and certainly not to get hired.

last time I checked, a good architectural rendering employee who can start and finish a rendering was being compensated $400-500/month (275000-325000 Rs) so you are probably better off where you are. you can check some employment websites like careerbuilder to research current opportunities.

Even if you recreate architectural photos you see in books or make your own projects, this could be enough if they are of sufficient quality

This advice is very helpful. Now I know which direction I should go, What should be in my project. Thank you very much for you advice.

Your straight forward advice is going to help me a lot.

• Administrators
This advice is very helpful. Now I know which direction I should go, What should be in my project. Thank you very much for you advice.

Your straight forward advice is going to help me a lot.

Buy some architectural magazines, books, architectural photography books etc and pick a scene that interests you. Then try to recreate it. Study composition, lighting, mood etc.