NEW PC configuration. give crits and suggestions plz

Please have a look at my new configuration and suggest improvements or tell me if this is good ?in some cases i have written 2 - 3 options so please help finalising the best one. I am noob with hardware stuff so really need help on this

Processor: 3930K

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD OR ASUS Sabertooth X79 ?

RAM: Gskill SNIPER 32GB RAM F3-1866C10Q-32GSR

GPU: Quadro 2000 ORQuadro 4000(heating issue?) OR GTX card? or a V5xxx card?

SSD & HDD:

A 60GB SDD for O/S;

a second one 256GB for current projects & installation of other softwares;

and a smaller one 32GB as a scratch drive. For remaining storage needs - 2TB - 7200 rpm sata6 disk.

PSU: Seasonic X760 (SS760KM)

Monitor: Dell Dell U2412 HM

Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Chassis: BitFenix Raider Gunmetal Window Edition OR Antec Nine Hundred ORCorsair Carbide Series 500R

Please give your inputs

Thanks

Sounds identical to my 3 machines that I will be building in the next month.

I am a big ASUS fan so the Sabertooth is my choice. I don't recall if that board expands to 64GB RAM, but if it does make sure to get the quad channel 32GB. That will leave you space to expand to 64GB if needed down the road by simply adding another set of quad channel. I have the Sabertooth Z77 for other machine and that thing is awesome. I am going with the ASUS P9X79 LE because it is about $80 cheaper.

Personally, I like the GTX series video cards. You can get a GTX 580 (see link below) for the same price as the Quadro 2000. The GTX comes with 4GB Memory instead of 1 GB on the Quadro.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperClocked-Dual-Link-Graphics-04G-P4-2673-KR/dp/B007Z3HZLM/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1347380102&sr=1-1&keywords=gtx+580

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to just do one 256GB SSD for your main programs and current projects and then have a 1TB 7200 RPM archive drive? Just a thought.

The Noctua is a great cooler. I am using a ZALMAN CNPS20LQ Ultimate Liquid CPU Cooler. It gives you the benefit of liquid cooling without the hassle and cost of a true liquid cooled system. Install like a typical cooler and mount the fan to the side or rear of the case.

Power supply should be adequate. A bit pricey but it will get the job done.

In all, you can probably trim the price of your machine by about $200 without any performance decrease.

Just my two cents.

You should ask your questions in one thread, since technically its for the same system you are opening threads for ...

Mobo: both should work fine. The GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD is a fine board, but it has 4x dimm slots. If you don't plan on getting more than 32GB of ram, it should be just fine - and I doubt many people need more than that, but depends on the complexity of your workload. I also like the PCIe configuration with the Gigabyte board more than the Asus boards (4x double spaces PCIe 16x) - again that's me.

I have an Asus P9X79 Pro and the top PCIe is way too close to my huge air cooler (Thermalrigh Silver Arrow SB-E - in case you thought ND-14 is the biggest they get), so I ended up having my card @ the 2nd slot. Should I wish to add a 2nd GPU, it could get trickier, as it will have to hug either the CPU cooler, or the PSU...

GPU: Read the other thread you've posted...personally i have the 670 SC 4GB saturn linked below (it is a GTX 670 tho, not 580 - 580s are topping at 3GB, and if you can find one @ good price it will be actually faster than the 670/680s on anything but gaming - also much hotter and louder).

HDD/SSD: wow...waaaay too complicated...3 SSDs for...what?

A 256GB should fit your OS and apps and current projects. It will also be faster than 60-128GB drivers etc...20-32GB SSDs for caching your HDD are a bit overkill if you have a 256GB SSD as your main drive anyways...plus not cheaper than 60-64GB drives (or even 128GB drives on various sales/offers). At least the bigger drives can be used for something else in the future.

I would not get such a specialized piece of hardware, unless it was for a laptop that had a mSata port and a single HDD bay - again I would probably go for a single 256GB if I could work with the space, or a Seagate Momentus XT 750GB (have the 500 XT in my laptop and loved it). - That's for laptops tho.

Just get a 256GB SSD - either Samsung 830 / Crucial m4 / Plextor m3 / OCZ Vertex 4 and a decent 7200 rpm HDD and you will be fine. You can always add in the future, but you should be around 90-100GB (or less) utilized with all-out Win 7 64 / Adobe Suite / 3DS Max + plugins / MS Office / ACAD / Revit etc installation.

Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E / Noctua ND-14 / Phantek's ph-tc14pe (or something). Those are the top 3 air coolers atm. Single 120mm closed watercooling loops with thin radiators are actually not performing any better. The Corsair H80 (and an equivalent Thermaltake) with thick (50-60mm) radiators and dual fans strangle just to keep up. H100 can barely keep up @ med fan settings, and barely surpasses them @ full speed (much-much louder - the air coolers do catch up if you would replace the fans with LOUD ones like the h100 has). All in all, if you don't go H100, my advice is to stick with the ND-14 or another air cooler. It's not that a zalman or corsair closed loop will be bad - the contrary - but the air coolers are slightly cheaper and simpler (more reliable) without compromising anything performance wise...oh, and are huge. You cannot install or remove them with the mobo mounted in the case.

PSU: great

Case: w/e rocks your boat.

• 3 weeks later...