64 bit and 32 bit windows 7

Hello all

does anyone have an answer for the following

I want to create a new partition on my hard disk to install windows 7 64bit (I've just done a fresh install of windows 7 32bit).

Having never done this before, I was wondering

1. will my .max files created in 32 bit be compatible with 64 bit and vice versa.

2. Will I be able to read from the 32 bit partition when running 64 bit windows, or will I have to have a double copy of my files on the new partition ?

3. what size to make the new partition ?

In simpler terms, 32 bit has one bottleneck, if you will, or limitation of 16GB memory maximum. And moreover, the modern 64 bit processor architecture is way much more efficient than 32bit (older) chips in many computing tasks including heavy number crunching like rendering; that's where the newer OS versions exploit it to users' benefits. Its always better to have and use x64, hence.

thanks for the replies

I've been using 32 bit for years. However I am now getting more ambitious with the complexity of some of my scenes. I'm therefore thinking of investing in a 64 bit capable software. (Stephan - I did try installing my 32 bit software on the 64 bit OS at first, but had problems getting all plugins to work - so I went back to 32 bit)

So in theory, the new partition just needs to be the size required for the 64 bit windows software ?

cheers

The 32 and 64bit versions of Max produce identical files. There should be no issue sharing between the 2 platforms.

The only real limitation of 32bit versions is RAM utilization: due to Win kernel limitations, only 3.2GBs (not even 4) can be addressed by a single app (and that's with a registry mod tbh). Most apps won't even try to address more than 2GBs in 32bit windows.