SketchUp to 3DS - duplicate geometry

PGD

I've been given a SketchUp file from a client to render up, which should speed the process up, however..

I notice every piece of geometry is in there Twice. I can select an object and delete/hide and an exact replica object is there in the same space.

Anyone come across this before?

On render you can see the duplicate geometry rendering spotty or black. The very quick attached image shows this, the smooth panel is where I've gone in and deleted the duplicate, that's how all the panels should render.

I've opened the model in sketchup and after opening various groups up I cant see any duplication going on.

Imported into 3DS by simply file import..

Anyone know of a way around this?

duplicates.jpg

Its as if the scene has been imported twice, but it hasn't..

I could go round every object and delete one, but with thousands in the scene I keeping my fingers crossed to a better way..

I just imported a free sketchup model and the geometry is fine there. So I guess the issue is with the model file. How do I clean the sketchUp file? Or select duplicates in Max?

Even a maxscript will not work here(if one exists).It happened to me & the reason was hidden geometry.Can you test it again by checking "skip hidden geometry" when importing .skp file?? you can also try and import in other formats(3ds) and see the results.If you can upload a part of geometry then we can have a look at it(much faster way :) ).

I'll try and find a maxscript for you if there is one for deleting instances or duplicate geometry.

One more thing i've just tested.If there is layer with same geometry which is switched off/visiblity off then also it imports as a hidden geometry in 3ds max.The problem is you will not be able to see it in sketchup viewport even if you've checked to show hidden geometry in VIEW MENU in sketchup.So please check layers as well.

Yeah I appreciate this is a difficult one for any script, how would it know what to bin and what to keep? Bar points/planes being in the same location..

How do you want me to upload a bit of the scene? From Max?

Imported with Skipped checked - and unchecked several times now - same result :(