3ds Max 2013 crashes

Krisztian Gulyas

Sometimes it just crashes for no reason (i mean the computer just restarts). Sometimes the computer just freezes and I have to restart it. There are no warnings or errors. It works fine until the computer just restarts itself. It is a big problem when you're working on something and boom! You lost some of your work. I set the autosave interval to 2minutes, but I'd like to fix this problem. It gets annoying. Sometimes it doesn't restart for hours, sometimes restarts after a few minutes I open Max.

Do you know what could cause these crashes and how could I fix it?

Thanks

ps: The computer is working fine if I'm not using Max

It sounds like a possible memory issue or overheating. What are you doing when it restarts? Is it something during a process or is it just random? Is it during rendering or after you have been rendering for a while? Are you using Nitrous or Direct 3d? Do you have your video drivers fully updated? Is your copy of Max fully updated?

What are the specs on your computer? If you can, try keeping the task manager open and watch your memory. Is it near the limits of what you have installed? You may also have to download a CPU temperature monitoring program to see if you are overheating.

It is random. Sometimes when I'm rendering, but sometimes I just leave Max open and the computer just restarts.

I'm using Nitrous and my video card driver/Max is updated

3.2GHz x4, 8GB RAM, GTX460 video card, Win 7 x64

I'll install a temperature monitoring software, maybe overheating is the problem... but that doesn't came to my mind until you pointed it out.

Thanks

Nitrous/Max2013 has been known to cause heating issues with graphics cards. Keep an eye on your temp.

Does this happen with a particular file or with any file? You may just be running out of video or system memory and Max craps out rather than clearing out your memory. Try switching to Direct 3D and making sure you don't have full resolution maps being displayed when you switch to shaded view.