3ds max 2013 only starts as administrator

Hi everyone,

I'm getting a strange situation here and hope you can help:

I have installed 3ds max on a computer here in the office and it is only running either while logged in the built-in admin account or if I run the program as administrator (right-click > run as administrator) be it in a standard account OR an administrator account other than the built-in.

What happens when I try to launch 3ds max is that a process (3dsmax.exe) is started and hangs with about 11.200k, with no warnings or errors whatsoever.

Trying to find out what´s happening, I went to the local appdata 3dsmax folder and realized that the program can´t create the startup files: the folder structure is created up to the ENU folder, and then nothing else. If I run it as admin, though, the whole structure is created and the program runs normally. I tried to copy this structure to the analog standard user folder, but nothing happens.

I also tried to mess with folder ownership and privileges, but everything seems ok, the user has - obviously - full access to the local appdata folder.

I´m using windows 7 and I have to have UAC on and need to have Max working for a standard user with no admin privileges.

My basic system specs:

• Intel i5 2500k

• Radeon HD7850

• 60gb Corsair SSD as cache disk on a 500gb standard disk

• 16gb RAM

Thank you very much.

• 4 months later...