3ds MAx 2013 Viewport issue - exploding Wireframe

Hi All,

I was hoping some one could hep me with the following issue I seem to be having with 3ds max 2013

PC - i7 6 core - 24gig of RAM and just upgraded my graphics card to an AMD FIREPRO W5000 graphics card (2Gig) and after an hour or so's use the viewport (only in wire frame mode) seems to corrupt, with lines and meshes exploding everywhere. I can't click on them, as they're not physical if that makes scense, its a view only thing. Seems to work ok when I switch to Direct X but slightly laggy in some scenes. I have updated to the latest video driver and am slightly stumped on how to fix this issue. Also its not a scale thing as this happens accross a number of old scenes I've worked on. Really want the Nitrous mode to work as it has many benefits.

Please help!!!

Cheers all.

Untitled-1.jpg

Thanks for replying.

Yeah its seriously frustrating as you spend a load of time reading reviews making sure you get the right card, then BAM, its all buggy. It seems to have got great reviews accross the board so really baffled...

Thats a good idea, I'll check it out and report back.

I have the same-problem. Arises only occasioanlly, but randomly enough to piss me off. I use 2013, AMD 7770 card. Tried bunch of drivers, nothings happens.

It seems to arise when scene gets more complex. Keeping as much objects in "box" mode helps.

Funny enough, I have nodes with much slower card, 5770, that doesn't share this problem.

Though, both cards suffer from the eternal "display driver stopped responding and..blablah..".

I refuse to work outside of Nitrous, since I got so used to it's incredible speed, and that helps with the kind of uber-notoptimisedatall-poly scenes.

Edited by RyderSK

HI Guys,

If as you say it has somthing to do with power supply or overheating is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks for your help

The TDP of the W5000 is less than 75W...I believe anyone with a hex-core i7 would probably have a big enough PSU for it - but you could give us the specs for it just in case ;)

For the overheating potential, you can always leave your case's side panel open, and use a factory utility program or a 3rd party like CPU-Z to monitor temps.

Well this gets to the point of corrupting my view so much I cant see what the heck is going on.

Checked with the manufacturer of my PC and they are going to check with AMD tomorrow, so I shall report back with my findings. Got a feeling I'm goner have to send the card back though and trade up/down with an Nvidia, more cash but should be stable enough :-(

P.s. Im pretty sure its not a power issue as again also checked in with the workstation supplier and they're confident its not that. How'd the w5000 get such rave reviews across the board is my only question????

Well this gets to the point of corrupting my view so much I cant see what the heck is going on.

Checked with the manufacturer of my PC and they are going to check with AMD tomorrow, so I shall report back with my findings. Got a feeling I'm goner have to send the card back though and trade up/down with an Nvidia, more cash but should be stable enough :-(

P.s. Im pretty sure its not a power issue as again also checked in with the workstation supplier and they're confident its not that. How'd the w5000 get such rave reviews across the board is my only question????

• The "workstation supplier" or the workstation builder might have messed up @ the assembly of the machine: the card might not be sitting correctly in the slot, not receiving enough power (improperly connected PCIe cord from the PSU or bad PSU).
  • You might have a faulty card that needs replacement.
  • You might have a faulty PSU that needs replacement.
  • You might have a faulty mobo, or need to check other PCIe slots.
  • Improper drivers and/or windows installation.
  • The card is crap, and the reviews came from paid pens.
  • More than one of the above.

When troubleshooting, you might take your time to narrow down the causes, before jumping into conclusions - especially if you did not build the PC yourself to have control of the troubleshooting process @ hardware level.

It happens. Don't over-exaggerate.

Will do, and some of your points could well be the problem. Ill just point out that I had an nvidia fx1800 card in there for 1 year and apart from the ram limitations the maxhine was absoloutely fine. Also its a clean windows install as i popped a new intel ssd in there to. Thanks for your ongoing suggestions.

I have to echo what Dimitris said. Never really trust your workstation supplier to answer honestly. Many times they put just enough wattage to power all existing specs and leave little wiggle room. Granted, your new card isn't that power hungry that 75W but it could be just enough to push you over. Your last card was only at 60W power consumption. You really need to check yourself, your overall power wattage will be listed on your main power supply. If you are using a lower power supply, you may be at your limit.

This could be an overheating issue. What temps are you running on your card? Where is your card located? Many cases have bad designs that stick the graphics card at the bottom with the fans facing down, so they just exhaust all of their heat into the base of your case. They get around this by having front fans try to direct that heat out the back, but is almost all scenarios the airflow isn't enough. Usually boosting your intake fans helps or just taking your side cover off will help vent much of the heat.

Are your fans running properly on your card? You mentioned that this happens after an hour or so of use, then the problem becomes consistent. is this the case every time? If so, then that really points to an overheating issue. If you get this issue after an hour of use, then without shutting the machine down you now get near constant issues in max, it really sounds like the card is running too hot. If you get this issue on a cold start of max, your machine has been shut completely off for hours, then it's less likely a heat issue. What does your CPU temp look like? Have you noticed any increases there?

Ultimately, this is a fairly new card series. Let this be a harsh lesson, don't run out and buy new things until they have had time on the market for at least 6-8 months. Especially hardware! The other thing is that the w5000 is the lowest end of the Firepro wXXXX series, it's like a 6 cylinder Mustang. It looks good, but it's generally underpowered.

The FX 1800 has a draw whereas the new AMD card draws less than 75W. I checked the machine on a cold re-start this morning on Nitrous mode and had weird artefacts straight away, so maybe not a heat issue? Anyway I'll keep testing all of your solutions, and also running a big test for AMD tonight so should find a solution in the coming days. I'll let you know how I get on, cheers all!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thought I'd report back with my findings. Basically popped my old the FX 1800 card back into my machine and 3ds max worked a treat. Sent the AMD back and paid a lot more and upgraded to the Nvidia 4000. Haven't had a problem since. Its worth the extra cash in the end, as the issues I was dealing with short term was just costing me money long term. My advice, there's a reason some things are recommended, just pay that little extra, its piece of mind at the end of the day.

Thank you all for your help.