Vray-Rt with HD7950 working!

I've contacted Vlado, the person who appears to be in charge of the VRay RT GPU forums @ Chaosgroup, and that's his response:

We did a quick test here with the 12.10 drivers; the 7970 card worked for simple tests with not bad performance for the official 2.30 builds, but video driver crashed for more complicated scenes. The 5970 card didn't work at all.

Best regards,

Vlado

Wish ppl willing to do their own tests with 7950s and 7970s to give it a try and provide us with feedback on the situation.

Thanks a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, not so lucky on this end. From what I've been reading on the topic, there's a chance 12.11 intends to resolve the RT issue. So far I've only been getting different errors with the current beta of it.

This simple scene with 2 teapots, 2 lights, and a plane on my XFX 7950 dual fan model running 12.10 and the latest VRay builds I get a driver crash and reset. The rt server and Max (Design 2011) don't hang or freeze but remain "waiting for image" indefinitely. The CL client works fine when I only try to use my X6 1100T as a device without the Tahiti Pro card but then I might as well run it in CPU mode.

Not so much.jpg

Fingers crossed for 12.11

Edited by Valtiel
adding max version details

Hi! I have a Sapphire HD 7950 and i'm trying to get the GPU to render, but am having no luck. I've installed the catalyst 12.10 drivers and it still didn't list the card in the 'Select openCL devices for Vray RT' menu, just the CPU. I don't really know where to go from here, so if anyone could offer some direction, I would gladly keep testing.

Edit:

- Ok, i figured it out. In the list, Tahiti is actually the GPU. I've ha d Nvidia cards till now and was not familiar with AMD hardware. To edit the list, you have to run it as administrator.

- Vray RT can not render Vray lights, planes or anything really. When trying, I had the same result as Riley, crashing drivers.

- I got it to work with omni and other simple light setups, but the speed wasn't much greater then the CPU+vray.adv setup. I think it was actually slower, but didn't note the actual rendering times.

I will do some more testing later, but that's all for now.

Edited by peterkiralj

I just tried with the newest Beta of 12.11 and it's working for me now! Both on my test scene (with V-Ray area lights) and a more complicated scene for a job I'm working on. A bit slow to launch when I first ran it but that's to be expected. It now launches immediately and performs quite well. This is fantastic :D

I suggest everyone still struggling to get their 7950 cards working to try the new beta.

Edited by Valtiel

Peter, are you getting viewport issues with the new drivers?

I'm getting the infamous undrawn vertex dots syndrome on both spline and editable poly objects in DX9.0 mode and the traditional fixes aren't working. DX10 (which I understand should be avoided anyways on AMD cards) shows the verts but also every backfacing edge through forefacing polys. OpenGL's just crawling in the framerate. >_

Anyone else getting this with the newest beta?

Hey! I have had no viewport issues so far using Nitrous and DX 11.

I tested OpenGL and Nitrous on a scene with 4mil. polys and OpenGL is almost impossible to work with, while Nitrous is ~20fps on realistic+edged faces,~30 for realistic and ~35 for wireframe.

The activeshade and production render still does not support Vray planes and some materials. Specifically, it does on objects made from 'nothing', but on parametric objects (windows), it just renders vray+bitmap materials as black.

I tested OpenGL and Nitrous on a scene with 4mil. polys and OpenGL is almost impossible to work with, while Nitrous is ~20fps on realistic+edged faces,~30 for realistic and ~35 for wireframe.

The activeshade and production render still does not support Vray planes and some materials. Specifically, it does on objects made from 'nothing', but on parametric objects (windows), it just renders vray+bitmap materials as black.

The Vray RT GPU limitations are because of the program itself, and present when using either nVidia or AMD cards.

Thus it is important for all of us aspired GPU-for-production users to understand the limitations before investing tons of cash for powerful cards etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter,

What 3dsMax version did you use to get these FPS numbers? I tried my Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X Boost with Nitrous on 3dsMax 2013 to no avail.

Ta.

Hey guys,

I've ordered a Gigabyte 7950 graphic card,but was out of stock till Thursday so I was wondering, before I confirm my purchase:

1.how does the 7950 perform on complex scene (over 1 mil polys) with vray RT?

2.could you provide some results regarding how fast does it render?

3 Did you guys ran into any more problems with it?

4.By any chance did you try the latest AMD beta 11 drivers, any performance gain/issues solved?

Had an nvidia card before but seeing the amazing AMD luxmark Open Cl scores + the fact the latest nvidia cards are somehow "crippled" made me want to switch, however at this time I'm a little concerned regarding if I should really go with an 7950 or a 660ti since there are no benchmarks anywhere regarding Vray RT or viewport performance, I know since I've been searching for 2 weeks and nothing.

Could you guys please get the test scene from the Vray forums and do some test renders since there's a whole thread with people waiting for some results.

Vray rt test scene:

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbulletin/showthread.php?52400-test-scene

Vray rt 7970 thread:

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbulletin/showthread.php?67028-amd-7970-anybody

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

For the interest of anyone else using this card, I ran the benchmark scene available on Chaos Group's forums (for some reason my account seems to be unable to post there) but my result so far is abysmal. 16m 40.6s on a single 7950. I had let the scene go through the extensive loading time in a previous click of the activeshade button so this began rendering immediately. This is in compares to some ~2m times reported by people using NVIDIA cards. I had a second instance of max open plus this browser but nothing was really applying another load to the card so I don't think much retesting will yield better results. Knowing the raw compute of the 7000 series is good, I suspect this is still a driver limitation though the client is finally functional under 12.11 beta.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbulletin/showthread.php?52400-test-scene

The posts are arranged in reverse chronological order compared to ones like this, so the newest posts are on the first page there. Vlado's posted the scene on either the earliest or second-earliest pages. It's set up already for you to hit activeshade when you open it and will halt/finish once 512 rays/pixel have been cast. The time it takes to hit that sampling rate is your benchmark score, the quicker the better.

Hey Riley!

I made the vray test scene that you indicated.

Results with 13.1 drivers, Vray Rt 2.30.02, i7 3930k (without any overclocking) and 32GB Memory 1866mhrz:

OpenCL (single kernel) - 5.29min

Cuda (single kernel) - 32.18min

CPU - 31.36min

I'm surprise with this results... in the three examples..the scene always present the noisy effect and take some time to load and render..dont know if it was from this test scene or if it happening with all complex scenes.

personally i just use the vray rt (in open cl mode) for light balance the scenes..with generic vray material, so the work with rt is very rapid and good and dont present the noise effect...for mapping and textures i prefer production render with low custom settings.

(sorry for dont respond your last email message..it has gone automatically to trash :/)