How do you protect your computer from theft or disaster?

heni30

I have a home studio in one of our bedroom spaces and we've been having a rash of quick in and out burglaries in our neighborhood and I was trying to figure out the best way to deter

theft of my computer equipment. Maybe one of these measures - or maybe a decoy item - like just leave a broken laptop next to the computer with a $20 bill next to it.

What do you do to protect your computer?SECURITY ENCLOSURE.jpg

Edited by heni30

Get yourself an online backup system ASAP. Or backup to external drives and alternate each week keeping one of them off the premises. Just find someway to backup somehow. Then, (believe it or not i did this a couple years ago), drill a hole through your case cover and chain your computer chassis up to a desk. Anything that makes it harder for a thief, is a good thing. They usually prefer easy.

I do backup to external drives. I put my computers together myself and parts come from different vendors and hardware and software are put together just so. It would be a major thing if it were stolen during a tight deadline.

Do you use an online backup system with large capacity and low cost?

I have my system insured and all my critical files stored both on the cloud and on a external drive I keep my my deposit box at my bank. I can replace my system, my files however, I cannot.

If thief wants your computer they will take it. Whether they will just take your desk along with your computer or get frustrated and just smash the living crap out of it. Typically once someone is in your home, all bets are off to what they will do.

You can always get a home alarm system put in, but even then by the time to police respond they will still have taken what they wanted. Unfortunate, booby traps in the home are illegal.

If you are that concerned about thieves, you can purchase insurance for work stoppages. Though, I'm not sure how financially sound of a decision that is for a freelancer. External back ups are great, as long as they are not kept in the same home.

I use Amazon's cloud storage as well as Dropbox. Dropbox is quite free and with help of your friends you can easily get 8 gigs worth. Amazon is fairly cheap. Dropbox is for my everyday stuff and Amazon is for files that I would like to have in a post apocalyptic world.

Yes. Cloud backup sounds like the best choice nowadays. Not a big investment if you have a ton of files (libraries and stuff) and certainly more reliable than external drives as these may breakdown. The only downside is the case in which you don't have an internet connection. In the post apocalyptic world, I doubt the servers and satellites will be running. he he he ;)