MR: Distributed Bucket Rendering

nisus

Hi all,

Can anyone help me out setting up the network for distributed bucket rendering with MR?

The max reference guide states: To obtain this, you must run the mental ray installer on all remote hosts, then configure and run the SPM license server. Instructions about how to do so are provided with the mental ray renderer sold by mental images.

Unfortunately, I cannot find my way around the information. Where do I find that MR-installer? How do I run the SPM license server? Where the f**k do I find this information on the MR-webpage?

rgds

nisus

Hi all,

Can anyone help me out setting up the network for distributed bucket rendering with MR?

The max reference guide states: To obtain this, you must run the mental ray installer on all remote hosts, then configure and run the SPM license server. Instructions about how to do so are provided with the mental ray renderer sold by mental images.

Unfortunately, I cannot find my way around the information. Where do I find that MR-installer? How do I run the SPM license server? Where the f**k do I find this information on the MR-webpage?

rgds

nisus

i believe that you must first obtain a stand alone version of mental ray to run distributed bucketed render. but another solution for that would be running backburner set to render stripping of image rendered. so that each work station will be assigned a part of an image then mr would use its buckets to render the image.

i've tried rendering a large image using backburner stripping and mr.it works, though not like bucket rendering, but something similar.

Hi Nisus,

You need to purchase mental ray by itself if you want to use DBR. With a MAX 6 license that won't happen, because mental ray can only render inside of MAX.

If you have more than 1 license of MAX, your only alternative is to use Network Render.

Alexander

You can use Split Scanline within Backburner. The scanline doesn't DBR either.

Why would you use it? I don't know. It raytraces superfast and produces nice images. It's yet another option for rendering, but it isn't a free one, and never was advertised as such.

Alexander