Color Banding in Adobe RGB Space

braddewald

I just noticed that I've been working in sRGB space for the past year. I could have sworn that I had it set to Adobe RGB. When I switched over to Adobe RGB, I noticed that the color picker had a weird banding thing going on in any range that contained green colors.

No banding (sRGB):

nobanding_sRGB.jpg

Banding/color bunching (Adobe RGB):

banding_RGB.jpg

Is there a reason for this?

Is abruptly switching back to Adobe RGB instead of sRGB going to cause any problems for me? I notice that the sRGB color at Hue 104 is more of a lime green that it's Adobe RGB counterpart.

Edited by braddewald

• Administrators

I can see a bit of banding in the thumbnail, but nothing in the full size image attachments. Is your system profiled and calibrated? I'm wondering if your profile was not generated correctly. Many times a bad profile, using a crappy color management device (colorimeter/spectrophotometer) like anything made by Spyder, can cause banding in certain color spaces.

I used the ColorMunki to calibrate my display, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it?

I turned my colormunki-generated display profile on and off to test it and it looks like it has banding either way.

Edited by braddewald

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti. Unfortunately this is the only one I have. To clarify, its not so much banding like you see in bad gradients. It's like as I scrub vertically down the hue slider in the color picker through the greens and blues, I can see this wave of colors with a steeper-than-normal transition around it that moves across the color picking area.

EDIT: Also, I'm looking at the images i just uploaded on my iPhone and I don't see any banding (except on the thumbnail - weird) but on my desktop monitor I can.

Edited by braddewald

• Administrators

ahh ok, I see what you are talking about now. I just tested in PS and see the same thing. I've never really noticed it before. I don't know for sure but here is what I am thinking is happening. In PS the hue slider is showing you 360 degrees around the hue wheel and as such has a fixed space to display all of the colors that make up any given color space. AdobeRGB is significantly larger in the greens than sRGB but still has the same space to display all of those colors. I used a tool I have to visualize color spaces and you can see sRGB vs AdobeRGB in 2d and 3d

cs-compare-3d.jpg

cs-compare-2d.jpg