GTX 680 slower than GTX 580 on VrayRT?

thanulee

Hi, i just bought GTX 680 phantom/ 4gb. I replaced 580 phantom/3gb. I test the benchmark scene about RT from chaosgroup forums and I read that GTX 680 renders the scene in 2:12 sec while i render here the same scene at 3:16! Is a huge difference.. I cant actually recall in how much time my previous 580 did the same scene (i dont have it here for comparison). So am i doing something wrong? Im using 3ds max 2012/2013 and vray 2.2/2.3 and in all tests results were the same :( help me out cause im already crying over the 600 euros i spent to buy 680! thanx a lot

Thano,

Your benefit from getting the 680 4GB is in the lower heat emissions and the 1GB of extra buffer.

It is a known fact that the Kepler architecture in the 6xx cards is worse from a pure computation standpoint (i.e. VRay RT GPU included) than what Fermi cards (like the 580) yield.

That said, you should still be 10-15% slower, not 33% slower...it might be an issue with your settings or drivers installation/version. You have to do some testing, it is not like the latest drivers are always the best for certain applications. Remember, GTX card drivers get optimized for games, so results might be worse in some cases by updating to the latest drivers. Get 2-3 versions back, and run a comparison test using the same settings.

Filia apo LA.