What are these faceted highlight/ reflections im getting

sdfresh

Does anyone have any idea what these faceted highlights are caused by. I am using 3ds Max 2013 with V-ray and have a simple V-ray sun and sky lighting system with one additional standard spot.

They are not affected by materials values as far as my tests have gone but can be greatly reduced by increasing geometry resolution. They can also be influenced by adjusting the shadow bias on the sun.

I am happy to load the scene if it helps.

Many thanks,

Adam

Facets .jpg

I know, for another application I would probably pull my hair out trying to achieve this effect. Sod's law it raises its head when I dont need it.

The spot seems to be irrelevant as the shadows persist even when it's deleted. I also have a sphere (inverted normals) around the object with a light material applied to give reflections that also seems to be irrelevant.

This leads me to believe it has something to do with the antialiasing filters or the light cache or most probably the sun itself.

Stuck!

Could you upload the file? I'll take a look.....

It doesn't look likt a typical LC or anti aliasing problem to be honest.....

It's more likely going to be face normals or shadow bias or co planar faces. The way it reduces or increases makes me think it's the shadow bias and co planar faces together.....

Edited by cg_Butler

Simples....... It is your shadow bias. THis option move the shadow towards or away from objects. Values that are too smal (especially negative values) can do funny things. I'd pop it on 0.1. Here is an explanation on from the vray help. Shadow bias is at the bottom.

Shadow bias VRay help

In my experience I've never used negative values. The lower the value the closer to the object the shadow is so as a minimum i'd use 0.1mm. You'd never want the shadow to be behind an object. When I render with 0.1mm i get this.

shadow%20bias%200.1mm.jpg

That is pretty darn "simples"....

To be honest I've never worked with V-ray sun or shadow bias and so i am not quite sure how I ended on this odd number. The only rational I can give is that the more into the negative I went with this figure the better the lighting looked and the very best was exactly around the figures where the pixelation started. For instance in these negative values the highlights (or rather the lack of shadow) behind the central twisting piece disappeared. By that i mean it was all shadow rather than seeing the full light and shadow.

So, with this is mind do you think it would be better to simply more the sun until the desired effect was achieved. Or to tweak the bias to the same end.

Either way, thanks for clearing up this anomaly...

Much appreciated