'Shadows only' with Vray

gc

Hi All,

I'm using Vray, and I want to light a scene with a spotlight, but have the shadows come from a parallel light. So I need a light that produces shadows but no light, and I can't figure out a way to do this with Vray.

Normally I would use the 'shadow caster' option in my light, but this doesn't seem to work with a Vray light.

Is there a way to do this with Vray?

I tried using exclusion as you said, but the closest I can get is to have my light casting shadows on the ground only, BUT the light still lights up the ground. When I exclude illumination, it seems to exclude shadow casting as well.

An example of what I'm trying to do is: I want a room lit with multiple lights, with people walking around in the room. And I'd like those people's shadows to be directly below them, even though that's not accurate to the room's lighting.

I am not at home now where I have Cinema 4d, not with V Ray though, but I guess, what if you copy your object, and Hide it, so it only cast shadows from your light, then on top of that you can put the original object, but excluded from the casting shadows light, one in top of each other one invisible to the camera.

Why you need to do this any ways?? can you just render the people in a separated layer then comp it?

this comment sound strangely wrong in some way here :S

dear GC

if you need vray help best come to the official vray forum. as user you have an account there already,so it easy.we will try to help and assist you there.

best regards

stefan

vrayforc4d.com

In my previous job we had animated people set up with a few omni lights attached to them with a negative illumination value. This allowed us to give the impression of GI shadows even though the people were turned off for the GI calcs and rendered with Brute Force instead. This approach might give you what you're after.