Arch viz interior - looking for critique and comments

jameswelch

1361995595.jpg

Studio/Institution: Jw
Genre: Residential Interior
Software: 3DS Max & Mental Ray
Description:

Hi,

Would anyone be able to give me some honest critique and comments on the attached image? This was a personal piece based on an image found on google images to try and improve my skills and add to my portfolio. Software used is 3DS Max and Mental Ray.

I am struggling to get that final photorealistic finish and have tweaked and retweaked the settings with no real improvements.

image.jpg

Can anyone offer any advice as to where I should be focussing my attention?

Thank you

James

I can agree with that post. The floor is too gloosy. I do really like the reflections you're getting off all the pieces though. The brick wall though isn't bothering me. I've seen walls like that. So if that was the look you were going for its fine....I think. Perhaps the bricks may be a little too long but I do think this is a near done piece :)

Hi James - looking good.

My comment would be that the image is perhaps off balance with the blindingly white screen to the left and the all your beautiful detail a bit in the gloom? I'd be tempted to experiment with dropping a hint of some background imagery to the left and then lift the grade in the kitchen.

Having a bit of detail in the blank white will also help with your reflections on the floor and cupboards - and tie the image together.

You could perhaps pull a touch of green out the image when using the curves too?

But overall - I think its really good.

Guest sachinwalvekar

Hi,

Yes I remember seeing this image on net and you have mentioned it too.

Two things bother me most..........the blinding white light from the glass door and the glossy floor. I think some imagery would be visible in the glass even if it is washed in light. I have seen many similar scenes and this week end want to experiment to test if one gets such a blinding white when taking snaps for interiors. Check the looks after reducing the glossiness of floor.

Good Luck.

Thank you everyone for your responses, this is helping me see my image from a different angle. You are right about the glossy floor but it's funny how I never noticed this before - i've looked at my image so many times too! I will look to tone this down, I also completely missed the bricks and will amend my UVW to better fit the bottom of the wall.

As for the bright white light coming from the window, this is made from a sky portal taking the light from the skylight of a daylight system. What would be the best way to add an image to this? Would this be in post-production or using an HDR, i'm not really sure how I would achieve this as the exposure completely blows out anything that might be seen from the outside. I agree the interior is a bit gloomy but i've struggled to improve this, increasing the exposure will only make the light from the window even brighter, maybe time to tweak some more settings and re-render

Thanks for your help

James

It's a great start! And actually looking at the Google image you have exposed your render in the same way so it's not your fault it's dark. I personally would brighten it up in post. Apart from the previously mentioned floor, brick and exterior imagery, I think it definitely needs some post production. You could even tone the exterior down by adding in a blind or sheer curtain. Add in some lens glows on the lights too. It's only limited by your imagination really so try a few options!

Theres a lot of ways to get more light into the scene. What colourmapping are you using? - Reinhard helps to fill a scene with light.

Make the light invisible and then the easiest way to get the backdrop into the reflections is use a Vray light material on a plane approx 10m outside the window. Still make this invisible with no alpha so that you can then comp it in properly in post.

Also, on second look your irradiance solution is quite splotchy.Presumeably you'll up the settings later?

Something that I like to do is load my reference image into whatever I'm using for post (Photoshop or After Effects) and then flick between the two - this will make it immediately clear whats working and what isnt. You definately need stronger whites to the right of the image, and the kitchen artificial light adds warmth and interest to the photographic version.

Hope this helps.

OK, I think I need to stop tweaking and re-rendering as i'm not really making any progress and I want to try and finish this so I can move onto my next project. Really struggling to get an image to work in the light to the left too.

I've added a bit of post production to the image and I think i'm going to call this a finished piece now unless anyone can spot any glaring errors? Hopefully this is an improvement on my first image

Test09_Composite final.jpg