wich is better for High polygon vieport performance Quadro 4000 or geforce 680 ?

Hi there,

i need someone to tell me the reasoning for wich one is better the Quadro 4000 or geforce 680 ?

i use 3d max and vray (no vray rt yet) but the response gets very slow when the poly count is over 5 milion polygon ( i curently own a 660 Ti)

what do you advise ?

thxs an regards

I don't have a definitive answer to that question (although I would also love to know for sure) but few things to keep in mind are:

1. If you are thinking of ever using the VRay RT version you should forget about the Quadro card (unless you use it only for viewport purposes and get another Fermi/Kepler card for GPGPU rendering).

2. I believe 3DS Max (what I use too) would handle scenes differently if you had say 2000 objects/500 polygons each (5 million total) and 10 objects /100000 polygons each (5 million total again). In both cases you get the same amount of polygons but one will give slow frame rates than the other (not sure which on though)

3. Check http://www.nyc3d.org/3dwp2/geforce-gtx-580-vs-quadro-5000/

Good luck.

Not a problem,

I myself too care only about the viewport performance. Let's face it- in GPGPU rendering you can always add more cards, whereas 3DS Max doesn't take advantage of more than one GPU. I just checked some of the improvements of 3DS Max 2014 (coming at the end of this month) and apparently there are some viewport improvements (especially dealing with vast number of splines, hooyah).

Maybe wait for the GTX 7xx series, if they don't improve performance at least the older cards will get price reduction.

All the best and good luck with choosing the card :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There Zdravko

Max design 2013 Vray 2.0 and Viewport settings Display Drivers Nitrous 3d (Direct 3d 9.0 Nvidia Geforce Gtx 670)

Ps it's a new card baught 2 days ago.

still when a scene above 3 Million Poly it gets really hard to navigate even a simple isolate takes around 20 seconds

and the cpu (an i 7 920 2.66 with 12 gigs of ram) hits the 70 % even when i'm doing nothing but watching the scene open.

is this normal ???

thxs

Not a problem,

I myself too care only about the viewport performance. Let's face it- in GPGPU rendering you can always add more cards, whereas 3DS Max doesn't take advantage of more than one GPU. I just checked some of the improvements of 3DS Max 2014 (coming at the end of this month) and apparently there are some viewport improvements (especially dealing with vast number of splines, hooyah).

Maybe wait for the GTX 7xx series, if they don't improve performance at least the older cards will get price reduction.

All the best and good luck with choosing the card :)

From my personal experience, it is in the drivers: the 7th generation GTX cards will still be Kepler based without crazy differences. Something like 4xx -> 5xx where it was mostly thermals, slight increase in cores etc. Just to keep a 10-15% speed advantage and consumers little to whine about. What intel would call "tick+".

I too have a 670 SC 4GB @ home and I am not impressed in 3DS or Maya. The 680 is 7-8% faster or so.

Remember, the Quadro 600/2000/4000/5000 are based on 1st generation Fermi GPUs, ala GTX 4xx.

Despite the comfortable speed advantage in games etc, the 6th generation GTX cards do "just as bad" with the 4th and 5th gen GTX in 3D Apps.

The 7xx will most likely be 10-15% better than "that bad"...

I doubt that 3DS devs care much about accommodating GTX/Radeon users to "magically" solve the issues and work compatibilities.

Just like with newer game engines, it is the drivers that optimize performance for each and every game/game revision etc, and the party responsible for those is the card's manufacturer, not Autodesk.

GeForce drivers for 3DS appear to be intentionally limited. The raw performance is there for OpenCL/CUDA, but that's it.

Viewports hold fine till a relatively low poly count and textures, then the performance decreases rapidly, something that allows theoretically much inferior in raw performance Quadro cards to keep going strong in more complex scenes.

Also, I believe we won't see GTX 7xx before Q4, getting ready for xmas.

If you are on a tight budget but can wait a bit, you could wait for the K2000/K4000 (the new 2000/4000 successors) to hit the market (are anounced but the market did not get a grip on them to start pushing used quadros of the prev. generation), and judge if a K2000 will be a better choice over a used Quadro 4000 that most likely will be available for a bit less than $400 by then.

Edited by dtolios

something that allows theoretically much inferior in raw performance Quadro cards to keep going strong in more complex scenes.

What a wicked thing to do but i guess that's just how thingsgo.

thxs for the techy info i assume it's not just me who issuffering i'll wait for the new 2000/4000successors as you have said and see if i can get a hold on one.

greetings

Hi There Zdravko

Max design 2013 Vray 2.0 and Viewport settings Display Drivers Nitrous 3d (Direct 3d 9.0 Nvidia Geforce Gtx 670)

Ps it's a new card baught 2 days ago.

still when a scene above 3 Million Poly it gets really hard to navigate even a simple isolate takes around 20 seconds

and the cpu (an i 7 920 2.66 with 12 gigs of ram) hits the 70 % even when i'm doing nothing but watching the scene open.

is this normal ???

thxs

As first, you should try some hotfixs from Autodesk.

Anh then, you could try to install the Quadro's driver for your Geforce GtX 670.:D

I have a 5 mil+ polygon file to test :

http://www.mediafire.com/?qqoz8pcl9tspb2q

c37c945af6ef5410ece3f1d7ff600fa4_53907278.max2009.jpg

Just press play animation and count the time to finish 500 frame:

My results with some VGA : Frame per second --> Higher is better

f0fcf4d1f69e13fd9b4f292548157a16_53907285.shaded.jpg

a272ac6edce2f84b6d64f6dbcdce3698_53907290.shadededged.jpg

Continue:

9ae31a6a2fae4065ad43a50240a3ed99_53907305.wireframe.jpg

My hardware :

1. CPU :AMD FX 8320@4.0ghz (Stockfan)
  2. Mainboard:Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3