Just can't shift this noise

stayinwonderland

I have this night scene. All the buildings are just instances for now. The buildings have a box around them (a box primitive > edit poly > delete the top and bottom so it's like a sleeve) with a glass material applied.

Here's what it looks like without the glass (note no noise in the selected building - bottom right):

00test.jpg

And here it is with the glass over it:

002b.jpg

There's a significant difference and it's noticeable on all buildings. But the settings are ridiculous and nothing makes a difference. Noise 0.001, various shadow subdivs as high as 32, IRR at high, LC at 2000, reflection subdivs/refraction subdivs set fairly high. But nothing puts a dent in it.

Any ideas?

That's something I, personally, would take care of in postproduction, as you'll have way more control and realtime feedback. Setting your glass object to 100% refractive will obviously let all the light through, so you can start there and then scale it back until it looks right.

Haha, that's a good question. I guess that I'd do it the non-physically-correct way and just boost the highlights using a levels adjustment on the refraction pass, then stack the reflection pass on top of it with whatever blending mode looked best (soft light?) That being said it might be easier to try just by boosting the vraylightmaterial multiplier like you are doing. If you keep bumping it up it should eventually get to the right level. Start with a crazy high value like 600 and then take it down as you see fit.

i reckon thats a pretty solid base render!

you should get some good results by overlaying / fiddling with the refraction, self illumination, reflection and z-depth elements plus some contrast and colour balance.