Controling UVWs from Revit model

Bundie

Hi

Im working with a revit model Liknked into 3dsMax 2013 and im having problems with the UVWs. I have a multi storey tower with a curtain wall running up the facade. Im trying to apply a noise map to the bump section of my glass material but I cannot enlarge it enough to be the size of the glass panel. Usualy I would apply a UVWmap to my glass panel but im dealing with just under 3000 glass panels which is alot to control manualy. does anyone have any suggestions?

Noise Settings.png

Curtain Wall.jpg

Edited by Bundie

Hi, Andrew

I agree with nicnic. On the other hand, if you want preserve link, I would recommend you re-import, using this option: "Combine by revit materials". You will get 1 object every material, wich is useful. Don't forget to check your units in revit and 3ds. It must be same units. In adittion, use fbx format or .rvt (max 2013).

Good luck

Select all objects (Glass\windows) and apply reset XFrom, even with same units between MAX and REVIT there is always something strange, mostly with procedural maps.

Now if those glass are the same family you onli will have to select one, the same changes will be applied to all of them.

Because Revit is real world coordinates and procedural maps don't really play well with real world coordinates.

I need to keep the revit link into max as there are still changes happening to the model and I want to see what other problems I come accross.

I also tried to Reset X Forms with all glass panels selected, then I chose 1 panel and applied a UVWmap, but it dident apply to all, just that individual one? I must be doing something wrong.

I tried reimporting it using combine by revit object which fixes the UVW problem when I apply a UVW modifier but creates another, Some glass panels have a colored finish so I need to be able to apply a different material to a few particular panels, so ive lost individual control.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will keep trying and see if I can find a solution.

Wouldnt it be a lot easier to just detach the object and get the revit guys to just save you out a single object for the glass rather than trying to find an overall solution?

Revit file linking is notoriously inflexible. I cant believe people actually attempt to use it!

good luck

Not really, im dealing with a 30 storey tower with plenty of geometry, if I do it to one element/change its going to snowball into many many more, at the end ill have half the model linked and the other detached which will cause me more headaches in the long run.

Plus I found the solution:

- Select all glass panels in my curtain wall

- Reset X Forms

- Apply UVWmap, set to BOX, uncheck Real World Map Size, adjust Length Width and Height

- Adjust Noise tiling in the Glass material

and presto. I reloaded the model and everything was attached and working.

NOTE: On my original attempt I didnt reset X Forms which must have been the crutial step.

Thanks again