digital camera to 35mm format focal length conversion

alexg

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows a simple way of converting digital camera focal length to 35mm format?

We are having difficulties in matching cameras for photomontages when our clients gave their photos using different cameras.

I mean, what happens is usually one client gave an image taken using Eos300D in 18mm, another one gave another image taken with Canon Powershot S30 in 17.5mm, another one with Nikon 3100 in 5.8mm, Sony Cybershot at 8mm.

Most of the time we just have to spend lots of time just 2 browse here and there searching the equivalent focal length.

Is there an easy formula for the convertion?

Thanx

Thanks Jeff !

That really helps solving a lot of problems.

Sometimes I just wish all the manufacturers agreed on a single convention for their focal length. Otherwise the notion 3x zoom or 10x zoom is just so confusing, especially when you are used to using slr 35mm lenses.

BTW, Nuno... the ACDsee works like a charm !

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Nuno

I just upgrade to ACDSee 6 trial and for some reason ACDsee doesn't always show the slr focal length.

I have a screenshot here (hyperlink below) of the Exif Metafile on Acdsee 6 Trial and it only shows the digital focal length

screenshot

Any ideas? Is it possible that this trick doesn't apply to all cameras?

• 4 years later...