V-Ray & Volume light rendering grey

tomelcott1

Hi Everyone,

So iv used a directional light to create awesome "volume light" in a scene before, like rays of light shining in through a window. Since i did that i now use the V-Ray Physical camera, and i cant seem to get the same effect, my "Fog" just renders like dark grey? Has anyone had this problem?

V-ray Camera settings all default, and Volume light effects all default...

Image below of "Dark God Rays"

Volume_failing.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

is doesn't work properly with vray - use the vray environment fog

or you can render it as a separate pass using a standard cam or vray cam with exposure off

its a bit irritating as the volume light was more flexible and faster than Vray Env Fog

• 5 months later...
is doesn't work properly with vray - use the vray environment fog

or you can render it as a separate pass using a standard cam or vray cam with exposure off

its a bit irritating as the volume light was more flexible and faster than Vray Env Fog

Very irritating. I was just trying to use volume light today to create a glow over a lightbulb. It works ok on low intensity and against a dark background, but as soon as you try to crank it up it goes gray. Very lame.

That's because it's not a VRay light. It's no different to trying to get Mental Ray to render VRay lights. It isn't going to work properly.

Like Nicnic said, use the VRay Environment Fog for volumetric scattering. The difference being that the Vray Env Fog actually scatters light through a volume rather than approximating it, so more realistic results are achievable with it; at the cost of render & setup times.