HDRI VRay render technique renders out pale image

amateurviza

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help...

I've been experimenting with Peter Guthrie’s method of using just the HDRI as the lighting source and bringing the gamma down to get a stronger shadow. Seems to be working well, but the rendered out image is very pale.

Using:

Peter Guthrie’s HDRI sky - 1103

HDRI, Camera, and render settings below.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in-advance

Render 3.jpg

HDRI.jpg

Render 2.jpg

V1.jpg

Cam.jpg

Render 1.jpg

it looks pretty good to me, nice and soft and varied. it could just be the that the lighting provided by a partially cloudy sky gives this feel.

what are you colour mapping settings? for an exterior id tend to keep it on linear, then on interiors that need softer more even lighting i will fiddle around with reinhard burn value to control burn and light distribution.

@Adam Plummer - the multiplier numbers are the equivalent of 1, having at them at the above values just means you can see the sky in the material editor. Though I will double check that.

@_ _ - you could be right, I've been experimenting with a few different sky's and a more cloudy sky gives what I think is far more normal output (colour wise) but a clear blue sky renders out a far bluer image. Which kinda makes sense but maybe isn't realistic?

Colour mapping wise I use Reinhard, but will give Linear a go. Thanks

@Christoffer Thulin – yeah changed to 2.2, thought it was! Agree it needs a fair bit of post-production work but still thought it could be closer to the finished product than it currently is.

Thanks for the advice

if you want to get rid of a blue or yellow cast you can use white balance to correct this - however this is half the charm of a good HDRI...the colour cast and varied light.

you need to try linear mapping - reinhard is uised to control burnout - which you have none of, you want more contrast i reckon

i really think your render is a good base - if anything its the planting grass thats letting it down