Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Can you even survive doing architectural visualization without V-Ray?

Name
    Dhammika Herath
    Forum Username
    dhammikaherath

Sri Lanka

Default Re: Can you even survive doing architectural visualization without V-Ray?

Both are very powerful render engines. Iím not saying Mental Ray is slower. It depends on the user. Iím using both with 3Ds Max. For me Vray can make beautiful images but Mental Ray physically more accurate than Vray. And you can push easily higher render quality and details than Vray. BRDF tuning also plus point in Mental Ray. This is just my idea.

Then again depend on the user... Thatís what makes us different. Not the tool. As all said and I also agree without Vray you can survive but Without Photoshop you canít.

Most of people still think Vray is the only render engine which can make realistic renders. That is why all are asking ďWe are looking for a 3D Visualiser, excellent in 3Ds Max and VrayĒ. I see no point in that.

Name
    Devin Johnston
    Forum Username
    Maxer

United States

Default Re: Can you even survive doing architectural visualization without V-Ray?

Your more likely to get a job working for a company that's using Vray in which case you'll have to learn it anyway. However everyone else that's telling you it's the artist not the tool is correct, you can make beautiful renderings with any engine if you have the knowledge and skill.
    ďI make fake things for real people to convince them fake things are real.Ē

Veteran Member

Name
    John Dollus
    Forum Username
    John Dollus

United States

From which college are you graduating and what will be your degree?

Name
    Scott Schroeder
    Forum Username
    VelvetElvis

United States

As others have said, when I review portfolios I keep an eye out for Vray knowledge but if you have drop dead sexy images I really don't care if you used Brazil or Scanline or whatever. If you know how to texture and light, that will transfer to any engine. You just have to learn the little differences between the two. Understanding of lighting, color balancing, material setup are more heavily weighed in my mind than specific engine knowledge.

That being said Vray will give you a leg up, again as others have noted, in that most of the industry uses it.
    andrescr likes this.
    Scott S.

Veteran Member

Name
    Chris MacDonald
    Forum Username
    Macker

United Kingdom

I'd agree with most of the sentiments here. Mental Ray is, as far as rendering goes just as capable as VRay.

I learnt to render in freeware first (Kerkythea), then moved to Mental Ray and then made the switch to VRay. Most of the skills that I had picked up from the previous render engines were transferrable. As a few others have said; it's not the tools, it's how you use it.

Just take a look on this site for example, at the majority of the VRay users coming from India and the east; most (not all) seem to be producing some absolutely shockingly bad images using top-end render packages, which for me is proof that you need to learn your trade far more than your render engine. Master both however and you're onto a winner.

Name
    Chris Simpson
    Forum Username
    ChrisLSimpson

United_States

I have been spending alot of time with mental ray since i made my first post, and now I think i am much better at it. After my next paycheck i should have enough saved up to be able to get the student version of VRay so next week, i will be starting on it as well. I do agree with Photoshop work though, and I have found that using it can make either render engine look like the best. I will have to start learning VRay though because every archviz firm ive looked at applying to mentions it as a requirement. (One company was so concerned about Vray,they listed it first before even mentioning 3dsMax)

Name
    _ _
    Forum Username
    nicnic

Yemen

it is a requirement where i work unless you want to be doing modelling only, spending your days re-doing models from architecture studios!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information