Advantage of exr format when so many limitations in Photoshop? Workflow?

danb4026

I have rarely used the exr format as an output format because of the lack of functionality in PS for post. I am trying to understand the benefits, other than initial exposure adjustments, for using this format. I cannot use my brush tool, adjustment layers, etc. I also then have to deal with the chore of converting to 16bit and screwing around with color spaces in order to continue with post processing.

Is there a tried and true workflow for saving out open exr files from max and then composting them in photoshop that resolves or works around theses issues?

I also find that saving as a 16bit half float exr has the same limitations as 32 bit. Not sure why. I would really like to know how to save exr's in max, open in photoshop and be able to do post work. Any advice greatly appreciated.

I have always rendered out to 16bit TIF's and cannot understand the 32bit real world benefits. Very large files, ultra limited tool set in PS, etc. etc.

If someone can give me a good reason that they will enhance my images and workflow, I will love to explore it more.

Hi,

EXR where born under High end production homes such IL&M and so on, it was to cover a necessity to transfer huge amount of data in a flexible way.

The big advantage of EXR is the compression and capabilities of 32 bit multichannel. Now this type of file was designed thinking of tools like NUKE, FUSION, SHAKE and other a like, heavy compositing tools that are designed with 32bits in mind.

Photoshop still can not handle this type of file at it full potential, There is a script that let you read multichannel exr but still 32bit tools are limited.

if you are working in animations multichannel exr are a good way to manage all those frames with multiples passes, mask and so on.

If you are rendering still images with no need to over or under expose your images, 16Bits will be more than you need.

Many people do a pre-color correction with VRay buffer so after that, save as a simple JPG will be enough too.

It all depend of your workflow.

I do always render in EXR just because I do animations quite often and they are useful for my workflow but yes render as exr 32bits most of the time for simple still is just overdue unless you want to do dramatic changes such day to night image conversions, or bright the interior of a building from an exterior shot, or underexpose the exterior that you can see thru a window of a room.

Edited by fco3d