Vray proxy objects and their materials

stayinwonderland

Just trying to proxy some of my trees so I don't have to bring in multiples of million poly trees.

I create the proxy, there's two options, one to save each bit of geo separately and one to have it as all one mesh. The latter, when I bring it into 3ds max, turns it bright pink, the other seems to be not UV'd or something because the trunk and leaves are a solid/cartoony shade of green and brown.

Any ideas?

Scratch that. When I import them again, the turn into solid bright colours.

When turning them into proxies, and auto-proxy turned on, they are perfect. But bringing them in using the VrayProxy object creation, the render as odd-coloured trees.

The trees are the same size as the 3ds max 'Object Color'. So I'm guessing the material is coming in somehow?

I just found this link. I think I have to create a multi-subobject and bring in the material later.

Edited by stayinwonderland

Just save the tree proxy as a max file and merge that into your scene. Creating the proxy through Vray, by pointing it to an existing .vrmesh file, won't bring in the material as the associated material isn't stored in the .vrmesh file.

Totally right. I remember that day of madness years ago before having this clear.

Cheers !

• 9 months later...
Just save the tree proxy as a max file and merge that into your scene. Creating the proxy through Vray, by pointing it to an existing .vrmesh file, won't bring in the material as the associated material isn't stored in the .vrmesh file.

Thank you very much :)