vray: no gi with reflection

Harjeet Singh

ok, i'm stuck with the wierd problem here with vray.

when i use standard raytrace for reflections, the gi is ok but no reflection?? and if i use vraymtl to get the reflection there is absolutely no GI.

the vraymap for reflection does work-around this but then the reflection is too uniform. i need gradient (vanishing/blurry) reflections

ANY CLUES ??? 8|

thanks in advance

when i use standard raytrace for reflections, the gi is ok but no reflection?? and if i use vraymtl to get the reflection there is absolutely no GI.

vray does not endorse using ratrace materials with vray. however, i tend to do it frequestly. i have had the same problem you have described a couple of times. at tleast the raytrace reflections going missing. i am not sure what caused it the first time, but the secondtime it happened when i applied a camera correction modifier to my scene. all of my raytrace reflections went bye-bye.

this may also be the case with your lack of GI when using the vraymat, but i doubt it. if you are using a camera modifer, make sure you uncheck 'shade context compatibility' under the system rollout.

• Administrators
You Can Make Blurry Reflections With Vray Map, Clicking Glossiness Inside The Vray Map Menu, With The Glossiness Value You Can Set The Less Or More Blurry......you Don't Need To Use Vray Material......

Out of curiosity is using a vray map any quicker than just doing it in a Standard Vray Material? I've found that anytime I use anything other than a vray material the scene render times go up quite a bit.

-do not use anything with the word "raytrace" when working with Vray.

-Not sure about this, but a Vray material should be faster to calculate than a standard material, so if you use a Vray material and tweak the reflect levels, should be faster than a STANDARD material with VrayMap.

-To blur the refelctions, just turn down the glossy from the default 1,0, to anything below, lets say 0,8....howver you'll notice that this will take twice as long to render.