Help!! lighting shop interior

mr.t

Hi

I'm trying to find a simple way to evenly illuminate my scene to no avail! This is a large shop interior inside an airport. I'm wondering if anybody has any tips on illuminating this scene without any external light sources. Every time if use spotlights the ceiling is very dark and i'm having trouble balancing it out. I've used 4 photometric lights with large rectangular sources to fill the area with light however i'm not sure if this is the best way?

shop.jpg

If you follow your lighting plan, and use the right intensity of the light, it should be enough, now most of the time this create a very accentuate lighting situation, so I usually put some big area light to create a more even lighting.

if you material are somewhat dark and not reflective the ceiling should be darker, now if you don't want this, increase the number of bounces in your Final Gather, 3 should do, more than this it will increase your render time considerably.

with a good mix of light intensity and camera exposure should be enough.

for interiors, F stop of 3 or 4 speed 1/30- 1/10 iso 100 usually work, it depend of your scene.

Thanks Francisco. I'm trying to copy this shop from a photo given to me by the client so i don't have a light plan as such! For the area lights would you create photometric free lights with large rectangles? This is how its looking so far -shop 02.jpg

Looking good!, well this is always more an art than a science, you can use Photo-metrics free lights, placed right under your recessed light equipment and change the type to spot light, enlarge the cone angle and falloff and see how they look, if not you can place rectangular area light under your light equipment, and see how they look, fix the size to manage the shadows softness and how much light you can get.

Photometrics light should do the trick though.

Also for final render try to increase your Final Gather rays per FG points and also your initial point of density, this will eliminate this much interpolated look of your image, the GI will be more precise. But for previews render your setting seems fine. Apply a self illuminated material to your can lights to simulate the glow ;)