Trees and Alpha problem.

cg_Butler

Hi all.

I need your help with something, fairly urgent!

I am using some evermotion trees in a render and I have told them to not be visible to the camera, but they are still visible for reflection purposes. In a few places they are causing problems. In the RGB channel it appears parts of the objects are black. Upon inspecting the Alpha channel these black areas are the background.

Why would the trees in front of the building be causing the background to be visible, through the building?

I've not experienced this before. Please see the renders for the problem below.

I would expect the Alpha channel to be solid white where the building is. They have no fancy matte settings in the Vray properties.

They are not proxies, just standard geometry.

Tree RGB

Alpha Channel

Any ideas?

Edited by cg_Butler

Neither of these options had an effect to get rid of the problem unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestion though chaps.

I have also applied a standard vray mateial to the problematic trees and they still do it. Told them not to cast or receive shadows and even set their alpha contribution to -1 and they still do it.

Time to have a play with every setting i can think of! I'll let you know what I find, if anything...........

Edited by cg_Butler

I tried that option also.........still no different.

I'm stuck now. I do have to paste the trees over the top so it's not such a problem but it means i have to render these regions with the trees turned off so i get a proper background, and with them off I'm not getting the correct reflections in the glass of my building. It's rather annoying!

I could do that but it's not ideal. I've never had this problem with any trees i've used before, although I've never used these particular trees.

I'm just rendering it, then turning the trees off and rendering the problematic regions for now. Until I can get to the bottom of this problem!