Convert 3DS Standard Camera to VRay Physical Camera??

Guest dialog

Guest dialog

Hey guys, just seeing the wonderful new tool in the 3DS Max 2014 "Perspective Match"

Does anyone know of a way to convert a standard camera that is set up with this tool to a VRay Physical Camera?

Guest dialog

My only concern would be the FOV. I will try this out once we get 2014 installed and see what other issues there are... Not sure if VRay is up to date with 2014?

• 10 months later...
Guest dialog

Just following up here... I have data exported from After Effects as a Free Camera. The script from script spot doesnt work on 2014 it seems. I want the DOF features on the VRay Physical Camera to animate and some of the other features that are not included when using the exposure route.

You can easily continue using the standard camera with vray is you change the exposure control to Vray camera inside the Environment and Effect menu. (Just press 8 on keyboard while in max)

It's a very useful method for me when my clients request Orthographic renders.

From the top of my head: go to your standard camera view, press P to turn it into a Perspective, create a VRayPhysicalCam anywhere and, with it still selected, go to the Perspective view and press CTRL+C. This will take your VRay Camera and put it in the same position as the perspective. Then, press C to see the VRayCam view.

Guest dialog

Great thanks I will try this.

The long solution to the tracked data out of After Effects was to just copy the lens information and all the info from the track editor.

• 7 months later...
From the top of my head: go to your standard camera view, press P to turn it into a Perspective, create a VRayPhysicalCam anywhere and, with it still selected, go to the Perspective view and press CTRL+C. This will take your VRay Camera and put it in the same position as the perspective. Then, press C to see the VRayCam view.

This is a good solution, except it seems to not *quite* match it to the persp view exactly: I believe it doesn't transfer the roll translation of the to the Vray camera properly?

ctl+c to a standard 3ds Max free camera works accurately however.

This is a good solution, except it seems to not *quite* match it to the persp view exactly: I believe it doesn't transfer the roll translation of the to the Vray camera properly?

ctl+c to a standard 3ds Max free camera works accurately however.

The new version of VRay now has a handy convert standard to VRay Camera tool...

I'm using this trick too :-)

Magic!

I've never known about that trick, thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I know its an oldish thread but...

Neil Blevins SoulBurn Scripts are in my opinion an absolute must for any max user so much useful stuff packed in there!

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_tools/soulburnscripts/soulburnscripts.htm

using the camera from perspective view script whilst looking through the standard cam will create a matched vray cam.

hope this helps someone, oh and hi, love the forum!

• 5 weeks later...