Evermotion Trees Taking FOREVER to render

Guest dialog

Guest dialog

For some reason Evermotion tress are taking forever to render. Up to 6-7 hours per tree in this one scene I am working on. I took back face culling off on the object properties, my render settings are nothing crazy and I made them into Proxies.

The scene itself is only about 8 million polys. 1 car, 5 trees.

Not sure what the issue with the evermotion stuff is.

Guest dialog

Ok, how do I do that? In the VRay Translucency slot I dont see anthing for filtering.

The bark has the displacement on it.

It still seems like a long time for 5 trees and a car. Unless your rendering a huge resolution. You could re proxy and take displacement off the distant trees.

Lastly. If you're using light cache. Ticking use light cache for glossy rays. That will speed up the rendering too by speeding up the light cache calculation.

Turn filtering off any opacity maps as well.

Guest dialog

Resolution is 2000x950.

I have eliminated the translucent map completely and also changed to no transluceny in the rollout.

Lighting calculations have sped up now.

This scene just seems to be rendering slower than most of my other scenes. Not sure whats going on. I was able to render once at 3 times the resolution in a quarter of the time. I have double checked material settings and all that too. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Making these changes has definitely helped render times though! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

but it´s not a RAM problem isn´t it? Because if the harddisc has to be used as "extension" for physical RAM, rendering gets slow of course.

The last nature scene I rendered took a bit more then three hours on a simple CoreI7 and it really has a lot of my trees inside (2400*1350px).

http://wallis-eck.de/2013/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/landscaping1_37.jpg

As noted above, I turn off filtering on color and opacity map and use Lightcache for glossy

Guest dialog

I don't think It is a RAM issue. I run 16GB of RAM.

I have taken the filtering off and I have noticed that has sped them up pretty good.

VRay 1.5 or 2.0?

System > Raycaster Params > Dynamic memory limit - the total RAM limit for the dynamic raycasters which store dynamic geometry like displacement, VRayProxy objects, VRayFur strands etc. Note that the memory pool is shared between the different rendering threads. Therefore, if geometry needs to be unloaded and loaded too often, the threads must wait for each other and the rendering performance will suffer. In V-Ray 2.0 and later, you can set this to 0 to remove any limit in that case, V-Ray will take as much memory as needed.

If you are on 2.0 set it to 0. Or if you would like to maintain specific control or you are using VRay 1.5, start at 50% of your total RAM, or 8192MB in the case of 16GB total RAM.

Guest dialog

Ok I am in 2.0 and I always have it set to 16000MB... Whats the benefit of having it at 0? I have read so many different threads on what it should be set at, and they all have different suggestions.

Set at 0 in VRay 2.0, VRay will only use as much RAM as it needs, which could potentially be greater than your system RAM and therefore begin paging to the HDD, slowing the render speed. 16000MB is basically the equivalent of 0 for your system since it is telling VRay that there is no limit. However, the Default Geometry setting will also play a part. With as "little" as 6-8GB dedicated to the Dynamic Geometry raycaster you can probably afford to force load all Default Geometry as Dynamic. This will leave 8-10GB for your OS, frame buffer, textures, HDRs, and anything else that your computer/scene needs for rendering aside from any mesh objects and should keep anything from paging to the HDD, which would result in a slow-down.

• 8 months later...