I need glass invisible to camera, but visible in elements.

mr-krippner

With Vray, I'm looking for a way to make an object invisible to the camera, but I still want the RawRefraction and RawReflection render elements to display their respective information for the object. Does anyone know if this is possible?

In the past I've been having to rendering the image once to get the RGB element without glass visible and then render again to get the correct reflection and refraction elements. The whole point of this is to be able to use the extraTex element for AO and only have to render once.

The answer to your question is yes, invisible to camera means it will still be visible to reflection/refraction (which is a whole other check box) and, yes, it will show up in your elements. What you are looking for is in your object properties for the object you want to be invisible to the camera is to uncheck, "Visible to camera".

5 seconds to set up a simple test scene proves the concept. The red box is invisible to the camera. The first image is the raw reflection and the 2nd image is the actual render.

render.jpg

reflect.jpg

I should have explained it a little better. I know about the "Visible to Camera" checkbox and it's gets the first part of the job done. But I need the elements to show the reflections and refractions coming from the actual object I'm hiding, not the reflection of the object in other objects.

A screencap of your issue is going to go miles for understanding you issue.

It sounds like you want an already invisible object to show up in the render elements? If that is the case, you'll probably be best off just to render two passes. One with your object invisible to camera, and one with just the object (everything else is matted and reflection/refraction is enabled in the matte), then combine the two sets of render elements in post.