vray sky = no reflection in windows

benjaminbogaert

Hello again,

I'm kinda in a pickle, i'm doing this scene, and for some reason my glass isn't showing any reflections when using a vray sky.

When I use a hdri image I do get reflections, but then I have the reflections of clouds in my glass, and I don't want them. Just my interior reflections.

This is what I want to do

DygHnKA.jpg

But with reflections.

MXtou9M.jpg

Best of regards

Benjamin

I think here there is a concept miss-understanding here, If you are inside of the room, you won't see the outside reflections of your glass, what you see is the outside, depending of your camera angle and the IOR of your glass you'll see the interior of your room, if your glass is standard IOR and has lots of exterior light coming in you'll barely see reflections, you can increase your IOR to 2.2 or more then you'll see your interior reflected in your glass.

as Salvador mentioned V Ray sky is just a color gradient so it will not create any strong reflections shapes, as an HDRI will do.

if you want to replace your exterior HDRI later but use it to lit your scene put it in a Dome light, select invisible and not visible for reflections.

You also should render a reflection and refraction pass so you can control the transparency or reflection of your glass later in photoshop or whatever you use to color correct.

Yeah, figured as much, I went for the same approach and looked up some tutorials for render passes; pretty usefull hehe. But when I use a dome with hdri texture, can I put it so that It wouldn't bright up my room? Since i'm using a daylight system. and some vray light planes for certain walls to give some more natural light bounces.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions btw :)

Best of regards

Benjamin.

You don't have to use a dome light with an HDRI to lit your scene, I am confuse now, what are you trying to do??

You mentioned the hdri at the beginning are you just using it as a background for your scene? if so you actually don't need it, you can put it on photoshop later, now if you still want to put it in your 3d scene, put it in a simple plane, then do right click on that mesh, on V Ray properties, un check generate GI, that's all.

but again I am not sure what are you trying to archive.

Sorry if I confused you. The only problem I had was that my reflections didn't show enough on my windows because I was using the vray sky. Then I used a hdri in my environment slot to have some more colour behind my glass. This worked perfectly but then I had clouds in my glass which I didn't want. Which I solved using a render pass :)

So now I got what I need :p It worked perfectly.

Still WIP but its getting there

1prmhNk.jpgG]

Edited by benjaminbogaert

Looking better.

Personally two things I would change are;

1) The brickwork texture. It is very "in your face" and distracting. I'd perhaps go for another brick that is more subtle, a London "stock" brick, perhaps. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=loft+brickwork&rls=com.microsoft:en-GB:IE-Address&oe=&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=K22CUb_KEqGP0AXWzICIDg&biw=1280&bih=968&sei=LG2CUcfNJerZ0QXt1IG4CQ

A quick search in google images throws up some pretty nice ones that you might want to aim for.

2) The lighting. There is an overall lack of contrast between direct light and shadows in your scene and the direction of the light doesn't help, play with bringing light into the room at a different angle to create some interesting shadows on the back wall.

Hmm, you make some valid points, I was thinking about doing something with the bricks, and the lighting angle is abit dull now that you mention it. Lets see what CG textures has to offer hehe. I was hoping to do a night setting aswell, I think it looks good on the portfolio if you can see it on different time of the day.

also need to tweak my render settings since they are at low to render abit faster.

Much appreciated Chris! Btw I loved your blogpost about windows 8. It was a fun read.