Just about to purchase a new computer. This is the spec, good enough?

Im just about to buy a new computer, i use 3ds max, vray, revit, after effects.

I need to make sure i will be able to open/work on large scenes and also render on my machine.

Here is the spec, let me know your thoughts (if this would handle my needs)

Intel Core i7 3770K Quad Core

Asus P8H77-V LE Motherboard

Kingston 32GB RAM (4 x 8GB)

Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive

2GB Asus GeForce GTX680

ATX Case with 650Watt PSU

Windows 8 Professional 64Bit

ATX Case with 650Watt PSU

It's the same as to say "I will buy a processor" I mean you should specify what exactly PSU are you going to buy. 650W doesn't say anything to my. Expensive 500W PSU can be better than cheap 800W.

Good luck :)

Intel Core i7 3770K Quad Core

Gelid Solutions Tranquillo Rev.2 CPU cooler

ASRock Z77 Extreme4/Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Motherboard (Z77 mobo is needed if you want to overklok, if not overcloccking you can use a B75 or H77 mobo)

Kingston 32GB RAM (4 x 8GB)

Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive (Question: do you have a good back up?)

2GB Asus GeForce GTX680

ATX Case with 650Watt PSU (look for a Seasonic G-series, 650 can be overkill, look links below)

(Try also to add a SSD (Samsung/Crucial), if you don't already have one)

Windows 8 Professional 64Bit

http://bestmotherboardreview.com/blog/category/best-z77-motherboard/

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7990/23.html

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2281195

http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/system_specific/desktop_notebook

Question: which software do you use to render?

• 2 weeks later...
Skip the Hard Drive, that's your weakest link in the system. Get a solid SSD like Samsung 840 Pro or Intel 520, this will make everything run smoother and make your investment worth it.

Hai, SSD will bring you so much love! And when your spending better spend wisely.

BTW, I would check up the new Titan card, might be money wise better for you. Its the fastest ' single ' gpu card out. its about 990 dollar. still cheaper then two gtx 680.

Or try finding these " gtx 680 4gb onboard mem" I'm using this one myself.

As for cooling I suggest the hybrid cooling from NZXT ' kraker X60" its air/liquid cooling, but in a closed cirquit. Its way cheaper then full liquid cooling, no worries about leaks or anything and way cooler then you best cpu fan cooling system.

Basicly its a pump sucking liquid cooled air from your fan to your cpu.

Some thoughts:

* Close loops are cooler looking, not much cooler than the best air coolers out there. Actually in the same noise levels the best air coolers outperform the most popular closed-loop AIO water cooling products. You have to go for push-pull (i.e. add twice the fans) for AIO WC to start looking "better", but by that point you are well into full-blown water cooling costs, while not as good, and perhaps 2x or more the price of a beasty air-cooler. Air coolers are also simpler and thus more reliable.

Reasons to go AIO WC?

- You don't like the bulk of huge air coolers.

- You cannot fit the huge air coolers in your case (most modern mid towers can)

- You want to use RAM sticks with large heatspreaders that could be obrstucted by large air coolers

- You have to use a badly designed or too small mobo that might have clearance issues with RAM slots and PCIe slots when you mount a huge air cooler on.

- epeen: ofc to say you have a water cooled rig!

* GTX Titan: the GTX titan is an amazing gaming card, and can do pretty well in GPU accelerated renderings. That said it is NOT as fast as 2x 680s - probably even 2x 670s. When in doubt, a quick Mhz * cuda cores aggregate - given you are compairing same generation Kepler cards - is enough to indicate the computational potential. 2x 680s have more and faster CUDA cores = win.

Only real advantage over those is less consumption (more power needs more Watts, plus you are powering 2x memory banks + all the inneficiencies of a card twice) and ofc 6GB of RAM over 4GB. The latter is NOT something people utilize often in GPU renderings, and most likely overkill for most multimonitor gaming setups unless you are just trying to see the limits modding your games with custom high-rez textures. For single monitor viewport acceleration and GeForce drivers = clear overkill.

Just like with all GeForce cards, the Titan is driver limited in 3D Apps, and most likely a $150 Quadro 600 will be performing more consistently and faster for viewport acceleration.

* SSD: unless you are making a HTPC, a casual gaming rig or equiv, you cannot skip the HDD. Unless ofc you don't mind the cost / GB for SSDs or the hassle with external USB storage etc. Affordable SSD drives cannot contain OS, programs suites and all your assets. So, be realistic.