3D accessories - Build your own Vs downloading files??

helnash

Hello,

I'm just wondering what people's views are when it comes to scene accessories, i.e. sofas, chairs, tables, light fittings, books, ornaments etc...etc... in whether you should build your own or source downloadable ones (either for free or cost)?? I understand about the time constraints within businesses, however I am talking more about personal project work.

I've been modelling in 3Ds Max for about a year now trying to build up a portfolio (previous to that I was always either AutoCAD or Revit Architecture) and I model, UV and texture all the scene accessories myself, pretty time consuming but satisfying when a piece is finished.

I've started looking into what other archvis designers work is like, and find that they reference outsourced modelled accessories in their personal work. Meaning they have a lot more time to concentrate on composing the scene, lighting and post production work.

Am I missing out on downloading accessory models, and setting the scene like going to the shops and buying the pieces that I need to furnish my living room?? Or is sticking with the DIY route and building everything from scratch the way to go??

Cheers for looking :o

Hel

My take on it is that your library will never be large enough. I have gigs and gigs of models and textures and every project has it's own needs, so every project I either need to custom model or search out pre-built models. If it's business, then time is money and I am not very good at modeling detailed sofa's and things like that, so it's more economical for me to buy it. If this is personal work, than model some things on your own. It's great learning and then you will start to form a custom library with items that are truly yours that you won't see in other people's work. heck, it could even land you a job modeling for a furniture maker or open doors other than arch.

I would say that if you are going to do this, model things that you can use in several projects. For example, I modeled a glass pitcher filled with iced tea and I use that in many projects. It's a great prop and the tea and be water or lemonade, etc. Lamps, plants, kitchen accessories, are all great things to model that will get lots of use.

If it is for a personal project and you don't have a hard deadline, then I would say model the props yourself. You will learn so much more and you will be surprised at what you learn and how to apply that knowledge to your business projects. The best artists push themselves and learn outside their comfort zone.

When it's for business and you have a hard deadline, then sometimes it's easier to purchase models. But the models have to be perfect or else the time you spend fixing it, you could have just created it yourself.

Thank you for getting back to me on this :)

I agree you can never have enough accessories or props, and I'm happy making them especially after looking through a rough selection of free models I downloaded. The amount of hidden geometry and interesting poly flow means I would need a straight jacket and a padded cell after trying to sort and clean them up for UV'ing. :D

It's good to hear other peoples opinions on this as all I have is my husband's (who is a character artist in the games industry) and he is very much of the view make it all from scratch yourself.

Problem is that after I have spent time on completing a asset, and time comes around to setting the scene, lighting and post production I'm drained from it that I rush through these stages and more often than sometimes end up not completing a project, which when trying to create a portfolio is not the best. :(

So I do kinda have tight deadline as I really want to get in to the industry asap, but without anything to show I'm in a no win situation However, I guess I am building up a fair asset library mostly of the design classics. I just need to find a balance there somewhere of modelling it myself or finding the right ones to download that hopefully don't cost too much

Anyway, best get back on with it, cheers for reading :)

Hel

Work on a scene that would use multiple accessories so that as you tire working on one you can move on to another and come back to it when the fatigue is gone. This will also give you time to think about each piece and will improve the end result.

In my opinion, if there is good stock 3D models at a reasonable price, then use 'em! There's no point in spending hours modelling an Eames chair when you can buy one for sod all. Save your time for modelling the unique pieces that aren't available else-where.

Oh and in your portfolio, always point out what isn't yours. In industry stock models and assets are used all the time, so by showing this and being honest you show potential employers that you understand the industry, and why you have done it.

Dean

The way I always look at is is this;

How much do you charge per hour, and how many hours would it take you to model the item? If you can find one cheaper than the answer to the previous question then buy it.

[edit] I forgot to add; Is the cost of your time making it recoverable? Can it be charged as an extra to the client? For the usual furniture I'd say no, but if it's something highly bespoke, etc then I'd say it is recoverable.

Edited by Macker

Thank you for responses :)

I agree that working on multiple areas of a scene to help keep me fresh on a project is good. I have taken to working on multiple projects at the same time and I have about 4-5 on the go at the moment, each fairly different so requiring different skills. Although, it does mean that the projects are taking an age to complete, part of the reason that I have started looking at downloading pre made assets.

Also I can see where being able to use downloaded models in your scene is a fantastic opportunity to show what you are capable of and can help push the overall project to a higher quality render, as long as the right pieces are sourced. I'm looking forward to finding some bits and bobs that I can use in a project and match my modelling skills to the purchased ones.

I was looking at evermotion stuff but haven't downloaded anything from there yet, just been spending an hour going through the design connected site (thank you for the heads up on that one :D) and picked up a couple of the free ones. I have to say that if the quality of their models that are offered for free is anything to go by, I will be spending some money there at some point. You never know if I'm lucky and win something on the Euromillions I may look at downloading the whole lot, but as that won't happen anytime soon I will just have to make a decision on a couple of choice pieces. :D

There is definitely alot to take into account in choosing to download models, luckily (well unluckily) enough I'm not in a position to worry about that too much yet, but that does mean I get to spend more time improving my modelling skills.

Cheers for reading :)

Hel

Hi Hel,

If you are planning to use this work as a portfolio piece to get a job then it would be best to create everything yourself. From an employers perspective, I dont like to see images laden with pre bought items as it doesnt give me a good sense of what artists can actually do. For one you are not choosing the best / most suitable object for the scene you are putting together, you are just using what is available and you will likely end up with a patchy looking image which doesnt look right.

There are many facets to being a good artist and one of the fundamentals [imo] is still being able to model / texture & material well.

Hope that helps,

Rich

Hello Rich,

Thank you and yes it helps, it's good to see what an employer looks for in portfolio work, and what you say makes complete sense. I do enjoy modelling, I'm very much a stickler for detail (think it comes from my cad technician days, it's just sometimes get caught up too much in trying to get the details right, that I can lose some perspective on the overall project if that makes sense). I find uv'ing and texturing quite therapeutic though, still pretty new to that side of it I've got the technique down just need to work on the finesse, my husband is teaching me this side of modelling, I'm very luck that I have a very good in-house teacher.

Cheers

Hel