Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Real Time Arch Viz

Name
    Scott Schroeder
    Forum Username
    VelvetElvis

United States

Default Re: Real Time Arch Viz

Ha! No worries, there are a few spelling mistakes in mine as well. It just stood out to me as it just happened to be my paper. I'm surprised you could use images without any sort of copyright. When I had to turn all of my paperwork in, I had to turn in any copyright information for images that weren't mine, which I avoided since I didn't want to mess around with contacting companies. Images were to be treated as research when it came to citations.

Personally, I think physically based rendering is where it is headed for real time as shown by the upcoming UE4 and the update to CryEngine3.

Some science-type SIGGRAPH stuff on the matter; http://blog.selfshadow.com/publicati...hading-course/

EDIT: Unity is getting it too, from the community developers: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showt...t=unity+shader
    Last edited by VelvetElvis; August 28th, 2013 at 10:39 AM.
    Scott S.

Name
    Ricardo Teixeira
    Forum Username
    ricardoteixeira

Portugal

Hey everyone, a bit of a shameless plug here (about to post my own thread but this one caught my attention). At Amplify Creations we provide affordable, Drag & Drop, virtual texturing technology.

It’s the ideal solution for realtime previz, it saves you time without compromising performance and quality.

Check it out at :http://amplify.pt/unity/amplify-texture/

Name
    mr Fox
    Forum Username
    paulfox

United Kingdom

A bit late but thought I'd share anyway, my results from UDK. All images were direct from UDK with no processing. However it does all look a bit lower quality when on YouTube compared to the original MP4...

http://youtu.be/LHhWtsZDjFI

Name
    Scott Schroeder
    Forum Username
    VelvetElvis

United States

Lookin pretty good! Though I would suggest to use Vimeo for stuff like this. Youtube is terrible for demo stuff as I spent too much time clearing pop-up ads and getting suggestions for low-quality twerking videos on the sidebar.

Did you use frame dumps from UDK to compile the video? What I would do is use those at the max res you can get, render out an uncompressed vid from After Effects (or other) then take that into Adobe Media Encoder and spit out an mp4 using the Vimeo preset. That'll get you close to what Vimeo is going to do to your file.
    Scott S.

Name
    mr Fox
    Forum Username
    paulfox

United Kingdom

Cheers again, Scott.

I did roughly the same workflow as you outlined only for YouTube and not Vimeo. I've never really pondered signing up to Vimeo but now that you mention it I do see quite a lot of animations uploaded there instead of YouTube. It was the reasons why the original file and the YouTube version seemed so different in quality that got me! Ah well.

But to answer your original question, yes it was frame dumps. 3301 frames at 1280x720 (8.5Gb of files). I can't remember precisely how long it took to spit all the frames out but it definitely wasn't long at all! I did work out how long it'd have taken to do it in mental ray and it was something like 25 days based on about 10-15 mins per frame! So definitely a good way to go in that respect.

Setting up the animation was surprisingly easy as well apart from a couple of teething problems involving telling the cameras to use absolute coordinates instead of relative ones. It got a bit frustrating seeing that every time I exited and re-entered matinee my shots had moved!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information