estimated render time using V-Ray

jessepauly

Hi all, I’m trying to figure out what an expected render time would be using Vray. I work for a landscape company and create between 1-3 renderings a day and

want to improve the quality of my renderings. My main issue here is time. Typically I am not given much of a timeline to work with before presentations are due. (4-6hrs)

So before I spend several hours learning a new rendering system I am trying to see if it will be possible to implement Vray with in my constraints. I do not feel

The scenes are very complex, typically a backyard incorporating a pool/spa/arbor (300,000-600,000 pollys)… I use real world imagery’s alpha channels on planes for my trees/plants. I will attach a typical rendering for reference. Right now I’m using Studio Max basic scan line rendering system with daylight and spend about 15-25 minutes on my render. If there are any crucial pieces of info needed to better figure out something like this please let me know, or if giving a file would be of better help I can do that as well.

Thanks for your help,

Jesse

Fitch_2_Print.jpg

certainly could, however I was under the impression render times were considerably longer. If your suggesting they would be less time consuming than using Vray, I will peruse that route. I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out.

The thing with vray is, it is fast and excellent at rendering images where more advanced calculations like GI, refections, refractions, etc are needed.

In your case, where you are using a lot of maps with alpha channels, basic material, etc then swapping from scanline to vray isn't really going to have much impact, perhaps it would be faster, but I can't comment as it's been years since I used scanline.

Perhaps the money from a purchase of vray could be spent on a CPU upgrade or a rendernode? That'll certainly guarantee faster render times.

Dean