Upgrade workstation or buy render node

Hi,

I am always having a look at the forum thinking on buying a second pc as a render node, but for one reason or another I never actually do it.

Instead of buying a render node, I was thinking if it wouldn´t be wise to upgrade my current workstation. I am using an i5 2500k with TZ68+. I know that my mobo can take up to a i7 3770 if I update the bios, so I was considering getting an i7 while I can still get the ivy bridge around.

I believe I can sell my used cpu for aprox. U$S 140, and would have to add an extra U$S 145 for the 3770.

What do you think, should I update my workstation, or wait and eventually buy a render node?

Well, the "cheap" speed-up is getting your CPU overclocked. The 2500K is one of the greatest and most durable overclocking chips out there.

For the process of rendering / exporting videos etc, the 2600/2700K or 3770K will be an upgrade - won't work wonders on system responsiveness over the i5, simply because those are roughly the same architecture.

Actually a higher clocked 2500K might be faster in most stuff than either "stock" i7 generations. (other than the above)

Since you have the ability for a drop-in upgrade, I would seriously consider it. With Haswell out, offers on IB chips or even combos with motherboards should be around the corner. Offers on older hardware with the Z68 and whatnot are also common - in case you want to keep your i5 and let that become your node, and the used market is pretty rich with enthousiasts selling their used equipment jumping from one platform to the "brand new thing".

Honestly I don't know what will work with your workflow best. Surely you do have options.

• 2 weeks later...