server

So my server MB died a while ago and Im now working off a drive in a workstation. The drive is a 2TB 7200 drive and I have another one just the same. The drive is backing up to an external drive, so Im slightly safe...

I would like to install the spare drive as RAID1. Can I do that without interrupting my drive thats already installed?

Or is there another way of installing the spare drive as a backup, some kind of app that runs just like my external drive?

Thanks,

Tom.

I would like to install the spare drive as RAID1. Can I do that without interrupting my drive thats already installed?

Or is there another way of installing the spare drive as a backup, some kind of app that runs just like my external drive?

As far as i know this depends on the RAID-controller of the board... some support it and will clone the data to the second drive and some will erase it.

But a RAID1 is not a backup!!! It's only helpful if one of the drives crashes, but not if data gets corrupted, infected or deleted. You need a separate backup, even if you have this RAID1!

So i would keep the backup drive as it is and take a new drive to build the RAID1. Theoretically it should work just to plug in the second drive and switch the setting in the RAID-Bios to RAID1. The data of the first drive should then be cloned to the second one. And if there are any problems with this process you still have your backup... ;)

(i have a RAID1 in the server and two exchangeable drives for the backup, so that i can always have one copy of my data outside of my office)

Edited by numerobis