With new techonolgies being updated on a monthly basis. I'm quite confused regarding hardware requirement and its effectiveness.

Would you suggest me a workstation. I'll be running 3dmax,vray,Photoshop,Revit and Autocad for my architectural visualizations.

BUDET - under 1500$

I dont know prices in Nepal but I bought i7 3930k 8 months ago, it is 2nd generation procesor and it still kick ass, for card I have gtx 660 but I would tell you all gtx 5xx gtx6xx are good just look at memory 2G is just fine, for mother board look at sockets 2011, memory not less than 16G, and power supply 700w you dont need expencive case I bought my for 60$, just look everything can fit in it, and it would be good to buy nice cooler for this processor.

I dont know prices in Nepal but I bought i7 3930k 8 months ago, it is 2nd generation procesor and it still kick ass, for card I have gtx 660 but I would tell you all gtx 5xx gtx6xx are good just look at memory 2G is just fine, for mother board look at sockets 2011, memory not less than 16G, and power supply 700w you dont need expencive case I bought my for 60$, just look everything can fit in it, and it would be good to buy nice cooler for this processor.

As my list goes these are from my side

CPU -i7-3930K Hexa-Core Processor 3.2 Ghz 12 MB Cache LGA 2011

Motherboard - X79A-GD45 PLUS "Should I go with this or anything better and cheaper ? "

RAM - G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1866

HDD- Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB

Graphics - GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST

I am thinking that a s2011 system with a hex core is a bit out of reach having a $1500 budget outside the US...it could be tough even in the US tbh.

Take a look @ my mid-range workstation @ pcfoo.com. You can replace 3770K with a 4770K and Z77 boards for Z78 - same difference.

Oh, and if browsing the market for something like the 660 or 660Ti, just take a look at the 760. It just launched and made the other 2 obsoletete.

i can' say anything about the MSI board, but it is at least passively cooled - i use an ASUS P9X79 WS in my workstation and an ASRock X79 Extreme 4 in a render node (The ASRock has the fastest boot sequence i've ever seen... using an SSD. The ASUS has been improved with the last update but it is still much slower)

You need 4 RAM modules to use quad channel and i would say 1600MHz is enough. The performance gain of 1866MHz RAM will be under 1% i think (if there is one at all).

But i would definately add a SSD. Even a small and slow one (only for system and programs) will speed up your whole work!

You need a cooler! (i use this one for the node http://www.thermalright.com/html/products/cpu_cooler/macho_reva_bw.html - cheap and good)

For the graphics card i would maybe take a GTX 760 instead - but i haven't seen any 3ds max viewport benchmarks yet.

I am thinking that a s2011 system with a hex core is a bit out of reach having a $1500 budget outside the US...it could be tough even in the US tbh.

Take a look @ my mid-range workstation @ pcfoo.com. You can replace 3770K with a 4770K and Z77 boards for Z78 - same difference.

Oh, and if browsing the market for something like the 660 or 660Ti, just take a look at the 760. It just launched and made the other 2 obsoletete.

According to Nepal's market price: here are the details

729 $ - CPU -i7-3930K Hexa-Core Processor 3.2 Ghz 12 MB Cache LGA 2011

315 $ - Mother board x97a - But with a doubt of a latest model

207 $ - 4x4 RAM

207 $- 2 TB Black Caviar WD

290$ - GTX 650- 2 GB turbo

Total Approx $1800 Excluding cooler and casing

i can' say anything about the MSI board, but it is at least passively cooled - i use an ASUS P9X79 WS in my workstation and an ASRock X79 Extreme 4 in a render node (The ASRock has the fastest boot sequence i've ever seen... using an SSD. The ASUS has been improved with the last update but it is still much slower)

You need 4 RAM modules to use quad channel and i would say 1600MHz is enough. The performance gain of 1866MHz RAM will be under 1% i think (if there is one at all).

But i would definately add a SSD. Even a small and slow one (only for system and programs) will speed up your whole work!

You need a cooler! (i use this one for the node http://www.thermalright.com/html/products/cpu_cooler/macho_reva_bw.html - cheap and good)

For the graphics card i would maybe take a GTX 760 instead - but i haven't seen any 3ds max viewport benchmarks yet.

Asus has a lot of probably useless stuff loading before and after post. My P9X79 Pro takes forever to go past initial checks and controllers.

The WS is even more loaded with external controllers etc, so it should take longer.

Simple "barebone" boards like the AsRock Extreme 4 are booting up far more efficiently.

Ram performance is pretty relative. Much like the 1600 vs. 1866, there is little real life use for quad channel in a workstation or gaming station. Differences are unoticeable between dual channel and quad outside benches.

The 760 is a GK104 based card...its performance with 3DS/CAD etc will be similar to all GK104 cards before it, i.e. 660ti/670/680 and now the 770.

Again, I don't "see" a 3930K based system @ $1500 coming easily including SSDs, storage HDDs, decent GPU etc.

You will be pressed with finding a decent PSU that will sustain 400W pulls, getting a GPU not more expensive than a 650 or a Quadro 600/K600, and you won't go more than 16GB or a 120/128GB SSDs etc.

The Asrock Extreme 4 is a good board if you don't want to O/C. Gigabyte or MSI ones are fine too.

You need a s2011 compatible cooler, with single 120 or 140mm towers being recomended as a minimum.

2x 8GB RAM is fine, I would prefer it if you plan to expand to 32GB in the future, as going 4GB dimms now might be an issue going 8 x 4GB dimms for 32: most X79 boards are picky when you want to populate all 8 dimm-slots (i know P9X79 series is).

The 650 is a bit undewealming for a 3930K system, but passable. If I would not going to game on it, I would definately go for a small quadro instead. GPU compute would not be anything great with the 650 anyways (surely better than that of the Quadros ofc).

A good 600-650W 80+ Silver or Gold PSU.

A decent case - something like the Corsair 300R or CM 690 II or a Fractal Design in the $50-70 range.

A 120GB Samsung 840 SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, probably a Western Digital Black. You can opt out of the SSD ofc.

Asus has a lot of probably useless stuff loading before and after post. My P9X79 Pro takes forever to go past initial checks and controllers.

The WS is even more loaded with external controllers etc, so it should take longer.

Simple "barebone" boards like the AsRock Extreme 4 are booting up far more efficiently.

Ram performance is pretty relative. Much like the 1600 vs. 1866, there is little real life use for quad channel in a workstation or gaming station. Differences are unoticeable between dual channel and quad outside benches.

The 760 is a GK104 based card...its performance with 3DS/CAD etc will be similar to all GK104 cards before it, i.e. 660ti/670/680 and now the 770.

Again, I don't "see" a 3930K based system @ $1500 coming easily including SSDs, storage HDDs, decent GPU etc.

You will be pressed with finding a decent PSU that will sustain 400W pulls, getting a GPU not more expensive than a 650 or a Quadro 600/K600, and you won't go more than 16GB or a 120/128GB SSDs etc.

The Asrock Extreme 4 is a good board if you don't want to O/C. Gigabyte or MSI ones are fine too.

You need a s2011 compatible cooler, with single 120 or 140mm towers being recomended as a minimum.

2x 8GB RAM is fine, I would prefer it if you plan to expand to 32GB in the future, as going 4GB dimms now might be an issue going 8 x 4GB dimms for 32: most X79 boards are picky when you want to populate all 8 dimm-slots (i know P9X79 series is).

The 650 is a bit undewealming for a 3930K system, but passable. If I would not going to game on it, I would definately go for a small quadro instead. GPU compute would not be anything great with the 650 anyways (surely better than that of the Quadros ofc).

A good 600-650W 80+ Silver or Gold PSU.

A decent case - something like the Corsair 300R or CM 690 II or a Fractal Design in the $50-70 range.

A 120GB Samsung 840 SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, probably a Western Digital Black. You can opt out of the SSD ofc.

What about X79A-GD45 PLUS - board ?

According to Nepalese market.

here's the price.

730 $ - CPU -i7-3930K Hexa-Core Processor 3.2 Ghz 12 MB Cache LGA 2011

306$-Motherboard - X79A-GD45 PLUS

207$RAM - G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1866

207$HDD- Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB

290$Graphics - GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST

It adds up to $1740 Without Cooler and casing.

So, as expected, you are way over budget going s2011.

If you don't want to spent as much, I would take it slowly and build a s1155 or 1150 i7 workstation, with decent subcomponents (case / PSU, perhaps GPU etc) that could be upgraded in the future to a better CPU/MoBo without many issues.

The GTX you've chosen is just a gaming card...performance in 3D CAD is ranging from mediocre to bad, with the 3DS 2014 perhaps doing ok with it (haven't tried either 2014, nor this card, but all 6xx GTXs are more or less the same outside gaming).

? its not so bad gtx 660? but now I would go for 760...

@ Dimitris what do you think best card is for this configuration?

Haven't tried 660 or 760 (which is supposingly notably better and cheaper than 660ti - in the US).

I also did not try 3DS 2014 - yet - which supposingly boosts performance with GTX cards a lot.

Depending on the workstation and the workflow, it would be one of many cards:

Radeons in general work great with OpenGL viewports.

79xx Radeons (GCN architecture) also humiliate GTX cards in OpenCL...

So for a user that aims his workstations to be used @ Maya (OpenGL) and does a lot of Adobe CS6 or newer CC post-production, video editing etc (OpenCL accelerated), a 79xx card is a safe bet.

If you want compute in a Firepro, probably a W7000? Good value @ current offer with 50% rebate from AMD.

If you absolutely want nVidia etc just for viewport, probably a Quadro K2000 or better should be "considered" when you go s2011 way, i.e. willing to spend that kind of money. The compute performance of K2000/K4000 cards is too weak for the money tho.

GTX cards are ok when you game, or you want a single card that can do "ok" for light use and provide meaningfull CUDA acceleration.

you are away from theme... xeon are too expencive you can buy for that money two times faster machine...

Really ?

I don't know prices in your country but even if you buy in Poland you can fit it in 1500€ (maybe not $ but as I mentioned in Poland everything is expensive)

Z9PE-D8 WS - 2CPU motherboard fox xeon CPU - 500€

2 x Intel CM8062101038606 - Intel Socket 2011 Cpu 3.2Gh, 280€ x 2 = 560€

And rest is not important - RAM memory is very cheap, this MB have 8 slots so you can place there even 64Gb if needed. I wouldn't take care about GPU if you're going to render on CPU, get it later on.

This is only my alternative view on this theme...

you are right, I just checked xeon 1620 they are 250 € each... first time see cheap xeon :D I was thinking about Z9PE-D8 WS motherboard but with i7-3930K ( I am not shure can they work together in pair). But then I buy single CPU machine... now investing money in something elese, but next workstation will be 2 or 4 CPU :D

For the $1500 budget mentioned in the OP, a single CPU (1P) s2011 system is "pushing it".

Doing a 2P for that kind of money, and new components is almost imposible.

You could do a rendering node in a custom box or a cheap U mount case for that, but a workstation? hard...

And having 2P doesn't help you much outside the rendering process itself.