URGENT!! Building Light Cache taking ages.

aminur rahman

Hello all. I'm rendering this 4800x1800 image. All the v-ray settings screenshots and the scene I'm rendering is given here for your kind help. It's almost 16 hours and still the light cache building is not complete. Time frame is killing me. I'm asking for help here. Machine is i7-2600 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Radeon HD 7750.

Please, suggest me something with the light settings or v-ray settings. Material editing now would be a tough job to do. If no other way, suggest something with the material that is quick to do.

One more thing. There's only one light in the scene. And that's a V-ray sun.

3.JPG

5.JPG

1.JPG

6.jpg

4.JPG

2.JPG

Edited by dimitrirahman

Firstly tick use light cache for glossy rays. That will reduce render times dramatically. How many cores do you have? If it is more than 8, increase the number of passes in the LC to the number of cores you have so they will all be used to generate the LC.

It may also be your displacement setup, but without seeing that I can't comment. What I have suggested should give you a big improvement though.

Let me know if it helps.

thanks for the very quick response. ticked it and rendering is going on. i'll let you know the render time. 3 questions to you-

1. is it core dependent or thread? mine has 4 cores, 8 threads. what should i do?

2. what about the displacement setup?

3. this one's irrelevant, you know i'm new here. how to change the forum user name? :-)

No problem. I hope it seems quicker!

1. It is thread dependent. If you have 8 threads then leave it on 8. I have 32 so I put it on 32 so all threads can be used when generating the LC.

2. I noticed you are overriding the Displacement settings. You may need to increase the edge length because your image is fairly hi res.

3. I think you have to email Jeff and ask. Check this link http://forums.cgarchitect.com/70762-changing-forum-username.html

You need to establish what is causing the long LC times. Firstly try putting a blank vray material in the override slot, and see if that speeds things up. If so then it's material issues. If not then turn off your lights, and try again. Then try turning off displacement. Then finally try hiding objects / layers.

Once you know what's causing the issues you can then go about fixing the problem.

I would expect the LC on a scene like yours to take no more than a few mins, so anything over 1 hour indicates something is wrong somewhere.

Dean

You need to establish what is causing the long LC times. Firstly try putting a blank vray material in the override slot, and see if that speeds things up. If so then it's material issues. If not then turn off your lights, and try again. Then try turning off displacement. Then finally try hiding objects / layers.

Once you know what's causing the issues you can then go about fixing the problem.

I would expect the LC on a scene like yours to take no more than a few mins, so anything over 1 hour indicates something is wrong somewhere.

Dean

Putting a blank v-ray material in the override slot worked. Means it's a material issue. What to do now?? A lot of glossy things in the scene. I'm not very good at material related troubleshooting. Most of the models are evermotion archmodels. Could you please suggest something in details??

I have a hunch it's either the displacement or some glass that has no thickness...... Those are killers for LC.

But seems it's not the issue here. Unchecking displacement didn't work. I could figure it out according to the suggestion of Dean Punchard. What to do now??

Dynamic memory limit is okay. Could you please suggest the settings I should use for PHOTON MAP?

I wouldnt use photon map, all you'll be doing is side stepping the problem instead of addressing it, and to be honest photon map is pretty much redundant and I wouldnt use it at all. I'd rather brute force!

Anyway, for materials, your probably right as Evermotion have some stupid settings on their materials! I always check any materials from any 3d model before putting it in my scenes, simply because a lot of people / companies are useless!

So first, download http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/vmc-vray-material-control vray material control script. This allows you to globally control your materials. I would change reflection and refraction sub divs to 8, displace off, use interpolation off.

If you're still having problems, you need to identify what object / material is causing the issue. Hide half of your objects, render, and see if it's still happening. If it stops, then you know an object you just hidden will have the bad material. Repeat this until you find the material. Sounds tedious but actually it won't take that long as you will be dividing the objects in half each time.

If that still doesn't work, send over the file.

Dean

I wouldnt use photon map, all you'll be doing is side stepping the problem instead of addressing it, and to be honest photon map is pretty much redundant and I wouldnt use it at all. I'd rather brute force!

God!! You are back,dear! Well, suggest something to solve the problem. How to solve this material issue? If using brute force is the way, suggest some settings for it. Never used anything other than LC and don't have time to test now. Save me this time!!!!! :-(

God!! You are back,dear! Well, suggest something to solve the problem. How to solve this material issue? If using brute force is the way, suggest some settings for it. Never used anything other than LC and don't have time to test now. Save me this time!!!!! :-(

Press refresh.

Anyway, for materials, your probably right as Evermotion have some stupid settings on their materials! I always check any materials from any 3d model before putting it in my scenes, simply because a lot of people / companies are useless!

So first, download http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/vmc-vray-material-control vray material control script. This allows you to globally control your materials. I would change reflection and refraction sub divs to 8, displace off, use interpolation off.

If you're still having problems, you need to identify what object / material is causing the issue. Hide half of your objects, render, and see if it's still happening. If it stops, then you know an object you just hidden will have the bad material. Repeat this until you find the material. Sounds tedious but actually it won't take that long as you will be dividing the objects in half each time.

Dean

Thanks a ton. On it. I'll let you know as soon as I can figure something out.

Sad news is I'm a noob which means the file size is around 1.5GB and considering the internet speed i get here it's practically impossible to upload this file in any less than 48 hours. Please, pray for me ;-).

Dean

One word- GRATITUDE.

Things with the script couldn't cut the LC time. What worked is finding the culprit objects. I really thought that would be tedious. But your advice worked so nice. Dosch cars were the culprits.

You saved me. Thanks a lot dear, thanks a lot.

Did you have any materials with displacement on? If so, ill suggest again that you re render your file as it was without the override but with displacement turned off. That way you are ruling out displacement and not simply guessing what material it might be.

If its still slow with displacement on then its likely either a material with displacement or something like too many subdivision on lots of glossy materials. I'm still saying displacement!!