Mini-ITX Render-node build write-up

• 1 month later...

Hi Dean, i am also very interested in this subject, since i want to build my own small renderfarm (3 to 4 mini itx nodes) at the end of this year.

I wanted to thank you for your thorough explanation on your website.

How has this turned out for you now that is about a month that you setted it up? Are they working as expected? Anything you might want to have done differently?

There is a particular subject that i am looking into right now, the CASES, which probably is not that important overall, but, anyways, i am looking for some very small, STACKABLE, and nice design...

The ones you choose look great, but i wanted to see if i could find something similar to the ones from BOXX TECH, like the RENDER PRO: http://www.boxxtech.com/Products/renderpro

This RenderPro is specially designed, and has great design, slim, and stackable. In my research i have found this other small cases from respectable brands, but they are targeted for other uses...i am not sure if they will perform ok as a Render node case:

Shuttle: http://www.amazon.com/Shuttle-LGA1155-Gaming-Barebone-SZ77R5/dp/B007UZO3F6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=224Q5OPRJ7J4&coliid=IO8C42C9THWKI

(This one seems to work as a render node case, since i have seen a company that builds render nodes and uses them)

Fractal Design: http://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Design-Mini-ITX-Computer-FD-CA-NODE-304-BL/dp/B009LHF4FO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=224Q5OPRJ7J4&coliid=IPTKAUPSK0K6J

Lian Li: One of this models, i still have to research more: http://www.lian-li.com/en/products/#37/1/list

SilverstoneTek:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=210&area=en This one seems to be the SMALLER of them all...

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=317&area=en

Edited by unrinoceronte
Missing Links

Hi Javier,

I think the boxxtech is expensive, but I guess you get what you pay for, a guaranteed shit hot render node. Is it value for money? I'm not sure.

The Shuttle looks like a good option, but I'm always dubious about generic branded PSUs, and I don't know much about mini PSUs. Using a mini PSU would free up plenty of space though.

The other boxes all look OK, I didn't really read all through the specs of them, but for me the factors I look for are cost, size and number of fans.

On my build, on the whole I'm generally impressed with the render node. The only thing I'd probably change next time would be to not install a DVD drive, I used it once, and not since as most software is downloaded anyway. Even windows can be loaded onto a USB stick, so I guess there's no need for a DVD drive really. You can also quickly open the case, and attach a drive if you really needed to.

If I were looking to build a node and over clock it, then perhaps this case might not be so good, as the PSU sits above the CPU and fan, and doesnt leave much room for a large CPU fan. Saying that, I'm sure there's probably a water cooler for the CPU which could be routed to the front of the case. Or you could even look to modify the case, and sit the PSU at the front. It would be quite simple to cut a hole in either side and mount it that way, and the move your harddrive to the rear.

I'd also try to find a suitable modular PSU, as this would free up a whole load of space, and make modding the case and layout much easier.

As for a stackable solution, I think it should work fine, but I'd sit each case on larger feet to allow for air flow between the cases. A simple fix with plastic pipe cut to lengths.

I hope that helps.

Dean

Thanks Dean, good info and tips. I was also thinking on not Overclocking if decided to go with miniITX, and i was adviced so also. Definetely i will not put a DVD drive, and i agree a modular PSU will be of benefit.

I hijacked your other thread, sorry... and some people have been giving good opinions. Perhaps if you are interested take a look: http://forums.cgarchitect.com/73773-mini-itx-render-node-3.html

I have some further and differente kind of questions for you if you do not mind... Can you describe how is your whole setup with this nodes and your workstation?

For example i am interested in understand which is the adequate way to work with nodes. Should i have a Server / NAS with all the files stored, work on my Workstation using those files, and then sending the jobs thorugh BackBurner or Vray Distributed Rendering to the Nodes? Gigabit switch for all these connections?... The nodes will also pick up the files from the Server/Nas? Is that the correct theory?

Also, do you have a separate monitor for each Node, or can they be arranged somehow to share only 1 monitor? Do they all have to have keyboards, etc? Or are they controlled by some special software and managed from the workstation? Do they need Windows OS for all, or can they work with something else, say Linux (these regarding OS costs for each node...)...

Thanks

For example i am interested in understand which is the adequate way to work with nodes. Should i have a Server / NAS with all the files stored, work on my Workstation using those files, and then sending the jobs thorugh BackBurner or Vray Distributed Rendering to the Nodes? Gigabit switch for all these connections?... The nodes will also pick up the files from the Server/Nas? Is that the correct theory?

yes

Also, do you have a separate monitor for each Node, or can they be arranged somehow to share only 1 monitor? Do they all have to have keyboards, etc? Or are they controlled by some special software and managed from the workstation? Do they need Windows OS for all, or can they work with something else, say Linux (these regarding OS costs for each node...)...

Windows nodes can be controlled using Microsoft's Remote Desktop (coming with windows 7 Pro or Ultimate) and Wake On Lan (WOL).

And there is a free Remote Desktop Connection Manager from MS which makes it easier to control more than one connection.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21101

rdpconnectionmanager.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVTAHo-uUAw

I have an old monitor standing in my server room for direct access.

Edited by numerobis

Thanks Dean, good info and tips. I was also thinking on not Overclocking if decided to go with miniITX, and i was adviced so also. Definetely i will not put a DVD drive, and i agree a modular PSU will be of benefit.

I hijacked your other thread, sorry... and some people have been giving good opinions. Perhaps if you are interested take a look: http://forums.cgarchitect.com/73773-mini-itx-render-node-3.html

I have some further and differente kind of questions for you if you do not mind... Can you describe how is your whole setup with this nodes and your workstation?

Thanks

Regarding where you store your files, I personally have a drive on my workstation, and the rendernode has mapped drives to read the and write to the hard drive. I do this because I would generally have both machines running at the same time, so no need for an additional server for file storage. I would however use a server if I were running an office.

As for hardware, I use a small 5 port switch, you don't need anything fancy. As for monitors, if the node is in the same place as your workstation then you can use your existing monitors fine. I have Dell monitors, and they have an analogue and digital in put, so the digital goes to my work station, and the analogue to the render node, you can then switch between node and workstation by pressing the button on the monitor. This is great for quickly checking renders.

I also have setup the remote desktop, which is great for accessing the node and using the node.

Dean and Numerobis, thanks for your responses.

I have an old monitor standing in my server room for direct access.

So, i know this will be off topic, but i have a couple of more dumb questions regarding this future scenario, if you don´t mind:

Question A)

1 NAS/Server with all the files ( I have the QNAP TS-110 turbo Nas)

1 Workstation with one 24 inch monitor

4 nodes

1 extra 19 inch Monitor (for the nodes)

If the nodes are not "close enough" to the workstation to share the monitor physically as Dean suggested, and by some reason my workstation is "busy" and i can not use it to access the nodes...and i want to take a look at the progress of my renderings on my NODES, how do i go with connecting the EXTRA monitor to the 4 nodes? Do i have to plug and unplug the monitor for each node? or do i have to "USE" one of the nodes as the Control Computer (as if it was another workstation but it has to work as a node too...) with the monitor attached to it, and from that node, look at the other 3 nodes rendering progress with the "Remote Desktop Connection Manager" ?

Question B)

Does looking at the nodes through REMOTE DESKTOP allows to "SEE CLEARLY" the image that is being rendered as it was rendered in the workstation? I mean can the details be seen with good resolution, or will i see them kind of "pixelated" ? (I have never used Remote desktop before...)

If you only want to control the image on a node remote desktop is enough. The display quality and reaction speed is only limited by the connection speed and with a Gbit network there is no problem (full 16.7M colours). So there is no difference in display quality. The display resolution can be configured.

The nodes can be accessed from any computer in the network that has remote desktop activated (or via internet if you have configured it this way).

The extra monitor is only needed if a problem occurs with the connection or if you have to change something in the configuration. If everything works ok you can wake up all nodes from standby with a WakeOnLan command and then connect via remote desktop - or just start the rendering if v-ray spawner is already running on all nodes (not sure if this works from standby with v-ray, my main renderer is maxwell. But i think it should be possible).

If you don't want to replug the monitor on the nodes you can use a KVM-switch (Keyboard-Video-Mouse) which lets you use one monitor (and keyboard/mouse) with more than one computer. But you need separate cables from the KVM-switch to each node which makes it rather expensive and if they are not at the same place it needs even more effort.

Another way would be a KVM-over-IP-Switch but this is basically only a remote desktop connection so almost the same limitations like for a normal remote desktop connection i think.

Thanks for the usefull info. i will look into the KVM switch which might come in handy...i´ll check the price tough... and also the TeamViewer Tip.

Dean, do you use TeamViewer to only "SEE the progress" on the nodes and PC, or can you control 3ds max and rendering tasks through it?

I will stop asking questions here...if not i will go on and on... I will do some research by myself.... Thanks for all your tips and info. I am excited to have my own renderfarm... hopefully soon. Regards.

Hi Dean,

could you please tell us about the cpu temperatures you get with the stock cooler when the cpu has been under load for a long time?

Can the stock cooler do its job or is the cpu getting (too) hot?

I ask this because haswell has higher temperatures than the ivy and sandy bridge.

Thank you.