the problem with glass material and environment mapping

jensrui

I use vray 1.5 sp5 in 3ds max to render a vray glass and environment map with vray physical camera. But the Vraysky behind the glass is dark. With 3ds Max standard glass material and Vray physical camera, with normal camera and 3ds max standard material or with Vray glass material and normal camera there is no problem. I post some more pictures and settings with it. How to solve this problem? Thanks! The glass has thickness and I use VraySun.

1. Vray physical camera with Vray glass material

question.jpg

settings

ScreenShot035.jpg

2.Vray physical camera with 3ds Max standard glass material, glass parameters: Blinn, specularLevel 125, Glossiness 40

normal glass.jpg

3.3ds Max camera with 3ds Max standard glass material

NorcamNorglass.jpg

4.3ds Max camera with Vray glass material

NorcamVglass.jpg

ScreenShot033.jpg

ScreenShot034.jpg

Edited by jensrui

if you are using vray physical camera you need to boost up any light source value (like from 1 to 50, 100 or maybe more). this goes for classic vray lights, as well as vray light maps, hdri maps etc. basically, physical camera is optimized for use with vray sun ONLY, every other light source - you have to turn it up, like quite a lot.

Your glass material should be set to pure black and at the moment, with the Sky placed in the GI Override, there is nothing to reflect except your black Reflection Override material.

Set the material to black and copy the sky down into the Reflection Override and I believe it will respond as expected.

• 7 months later...