Imported DWG invisible

Tsiki

I imported DWG file to SKP.

No errors or warnings.

Now on SKP, there is nothing displays but there are many layers and if I "select all" I can see th dwg frame (empty inside).

Any idea?

Should I do something in DWG before import?

Without seeing all your import and saving settings as well as your sketchup settings or knowing what versions of each software you are using, let me just give you a list of import standards you can follow that work for me 100% of the time.

In AutoCAD: Bind (Insert) all xrefs you want in the file. Purge, Audit. Export to AutoCAD (version older than your Sketchup Version) I like 2004.

In Sketchup: Import. Make sure all your layers are turned on. You should see everything now hopefully. What I do at this point is to create a new layer for the import "01 Plan" or whatever it may be. Make that new layer the active layer. Select all the layers that were imported from CAD and click the delete button, on the pop up choose the "Move contents to Current Layer".

Give that a go and let us know the outcome

Thank you Adrien for detailed instructions.

I followed every step: Bind (my DWG is the only reference), Purge (All), Audit (0 errors), Save as 2004.

The import outcome in SKP remain the same.

As this is the first step in this SKP scene, I have no other layers might confuse or mixed.

Never the less I collect all imported DWG layers into one SKP layer named DWG, also changed color to this layer, just in case.

I only can select an empty rectangle in my SKP scene.

So I tried something else:

- DWG export to "other formats" -> type = Block (*.dwg)

- Import on SKP

- Collect all AutoCAD layers into single SKP layer and change its color.

and it works. Now I have my DWG in SKP as a layer.

Thank you again

Edited by Tsiki

That's very strange, I can take a look if you want to share the file. If you are happy with the results you got then that's good too! Everyone finds their own way of doing it. I do a lot of cleaning up in AutoCAD first because my office uses AutoCAD Architecture which incorporates BIM elements of 3d modeling of walls, windows, etc... We also have many xrefs in each of our drawings so all that needs to be combined into a "dumb" file for import to Skecthup.

I'm still surprised it didn't work for you, I'm curious to find the solution now. If you don't want to share the file, at least let me know what versions of each software you are using.

Good job on finding the different export to block option, smart move.

Well . . .

It all was looked fine

But now I find out I cant make even the basic floor as there are many hidden object in this block and while creating the outline, those objects pops up and outline doesn't become closed, ever.

I appreciate if you can take a look the DWG maybe I did something wrong.

How it can be done?

Well I found your problem, it's in the AutoCAD file. Do a "zoom all" in AutoCAD by either double clicking the middle mouse button or type in ZOOM, and ALL. There are artifacts very distant from the actual floor plan you want to import. Sketchup was actually importing the file fine, and the two little blocks you see were actually your floor plan and these artifacts I speak of. I didn't spend too much time on it but it looks like you have both floors in there and they are located thousands of feet apart in the file. This is bad drafting! You need to clean up the file before you import into Sketchup.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

I should add that when importing CAD files, when you get these little bits that are way off into space in your CAD file and then import them into SU, you will face what they call the "clip plane bug". This is when your orbiting around you model and it almost seems to slice the model right in front of the camera. It is a bug and one that is still around in 2013. When I prep a file for importing I turn off all the layers I don't need, copy and paste into a new file and then use E-transmit to explode all AEC objects and bind all xrefs.