Help me build my new computer please!!!

Hello everyone! My first post in the forum.

I need to build my self a new computer have been working with my mac pro for too long and it is very slow.

I am a Venezuelan Architect living in Phuket Thailand, i mostly use CAD, max and vray.

I am not very good with computers but after reading online this is the set up i put together so far.

1- Nvidia K4000, i was also thinking about the gtx 670 but i finally decided to go with the quadro K4000. Now i think the rest should be based on the quadro card and the fact that the pc will be used for Cad, max and vray.

2- CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz) (BX80637I73770K) should i go for Xeon or the Intel Core, or the i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor instead?

3- Cpu cooler: COOLER MASTER HYPER 412 SLIM CPU COOLER (RR-H412-16PK-R1)

4- Motherboard: ASROCK FATAL1TY Z87 PROFESSIONAL SOCKET LGA1150 / Z87 / 4 X DDR3 / 10 X SATA 6GB/S / ATX. Should i look for Asus or other brand?

5- Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC DIMM (2x8GB) XMP (CMD16GX3M2A1600C9)

6- Storage: PLEXTOR 128GB M5M MSATA SSD (PX-128M5M)

7-Storage: SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.14 2TB SATA 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB CACHE 3.5" (ST2000DM001)

8- COOLER MASTER SILENT PRO M2 850W POWER SUPPLY 80 PLUS SILVER (RS-850-SPM2)

9- LG GH24NS SUPERMULTI 24X DVD-RW SATA DRIVE (BULK) i think i need this to install everything. Can i use an external cd/dvd drive?. It is probably a stupid question, please forgive me!

As i said i don't know much about computers. i don't even know if this motherboard or any of this are compatible or if i will have connectors issues. If any merciful soul out there can help me i will really appreciate it. Computer stores jere in thailand are not very good and they don't give any advice.

Once again thanks and hope to her from you guys!

Edited by rafman

Hi Raf Man, i was in your same spot a while ago, and this forum was the most helpful place, along with this incredibly useful site: www.pcfoo.com which is run by a super knowledgeable member of this forum.

I recommend you first go there and look at the Recommended CONFIGURATIONS that are made regarding budget and use, and then either configure yours with the same specs, or take it as a start point.

If this is your first built, this is a great 3 part video on building a PC (general things), which is helping me right now:

You can also look at older POSTS here in the Hardware Forum, there is plenty of information to help you make up your mind. This one is a good post, and you can see some comments regarding the i7 3770 and the i7 3930:

http://forums.cgarchitect.com/72665-us-2k-3ds-max-workstation-critiques-please.html

This is a good video For General HASWELL platform BUYERS GUIDE(skip the goofy parts):

Since i am not an expert at all in the subject, but i have recently learned somethings for my own PC build, i will try to give you my humble opinions:

For starters i will recommend you establish and post here your BUDGET, because from there other people can give you specific opinions.

CPU: If your budget is low, i will say that instead of going with the "old" i7 3770, go with the new Haswell platform processors i7 4770 or 4770K . These are the equivalent to the 3770 and the last time i searched, there was a very little difference in price, the 4770/4770k being a little more expensive for $30 or so.... So go with the newer. As has been mentioned in other posts, the 4770 vs the 3770 is only around 10% faster, which is not very much, but the advantage is that you will be already on a new platform/motherboard so you might be able to upgrade in the future to the new technology from intel which is coming out at the end of this year. Altough this is not confirmed...(meaing your new Motherboard, might or might not be compatible with the new processors of late 2013)... Ask someone else on this... check out this:

If you have a higher budget, and you can not wait until the end of this year, go with the i7 3930K, i have read it is 50% faster in rendering than the 3770 or 4770... But that is only on RENDERING or HYPERTHREADED operations.... So if you will do lots of rendering in this PC and you have the budget, it might be worth.

CASE: You should also consider a good Case, with good ventilation and design. Again this will depend on the configuration you decide, but i recommend you look into FRACTAL DESIGN, Lian Li, or if you have a lower budget, go to CORSAIR, which has some good ones also. Think if you want a BIG Case or a small one if you are with limitations of "space"... That will give you a direction into which select a ATX motherboard/case, or a mATX (micro ATX) which is smaller... You will have to take into consideration the SIZE of your GPU....

RAM: I say if you have the money go with 32 Gigs, at 1600Mhz or 1866Mhz, in a 4 sticks configurations (4 x 8Gb sticks) It might be a lot, but is better future proof, and will help you a lot with HEAVY POLY scenes... If not, 16 GB seems pretty standard for lots of people. I have been told to stay away from the RAM with Large HEAT SPREADERS (i think the ones you selected have this large ones), this is because the large heat spreaders can get in the way of the CPU cooler, and you might have some problems during installation, depending on motherboard, case, and cooler dimensions...

STORAGE: I dont know about Seagate, but in my experience and reviews, the Western Digital Caviar Blacks are very reliable.

PSU: Again i dont know much, but i was recommended the CORSAIR Brand. It appears Corsair has one of the best reputations in the PSU market. If you have a low budget go with the CX Series, but if you want better reliability and better components, go for the TX or HX series. And if you want a cleaner interior on your Computer Case, go with a MODULAR PSU, in which you can only use the cables you need, so less mess...

I recently read and sa a video that a COMPATIBLE PSU must be used with the i7 4770 Platform in order to take advantage of its full potential for low energy consumption...

COOLER: For my computer, many people recommended this model from the same brand:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005O65JXI/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B005O65JXI&linkCode=as2&tag=pcfoo-20%3Cbr%20/%3E

Aslo i got recommendations for this entry level Water Coolers: h100 i and H80i : http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Series-Extreme-Performance-H100i/dp/B009ZN2NH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376778831&sr=8-1&keywords=h100i

Hope this helps you a little bit meanwhile a real expert comes here and gives you better and specific directions.

Buena suerte!.

Edited by unrinoceronte
Missing Links

Hello Javier;

Thank you very much Javier! Yes you are right about the budget, i am going to spend between 2,500 to 3,000 usd with no monitor.

The 4770k sounds perfect, when bought together with the quadro k4000 in newegg i get a $85 dollars discount so it is actually cheaper! Thanks for that.

About the ram if you think 32 is an overkill i could go for 16 gb but i heard is better to use 2 sticks of 8 due to heat and easy to upgrade in the future to 32gb. Again that could be wrong, i dont remember where i read that.

You missed the cooler master model they recommended yoy i dont see anything. I have also been wondering about the water coolers. Are they good? Do i need a minimum for this type of system?

I will take a look at the links and videos you sent me. I really appreciate the help.

So for now my system will look like this:

1- Nvidia K4000.

2- CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K

3- Cpu cooler: COOLER MASTER HYPER 412 SLIM CPU COOLER (RR-H412-16PK-R1)

4- Motherboard: ASROCK FATAL1TY Z87 PROFESSIONAL SOCKET LGA1150 / Z87 / 4 X DDR3 / 10 X SATA 6GB/S / ATX. Should i look for Asus or other brand?

5- Ram: G.skill ripjaws x series 16gb 2X8

6- Storage: PLEXTOR 128GB M5M MSATA SSD (PX-128M5M)

7-Storage: SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.14 2TB SATA 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB CACHE 3.5" (ST2000DM001)

8- COOLER MASTER SILENT PRO M2 850W POWER SUPPLY 80 PLUS SILVER (RS-850-SPM2)

9- LG GH24NS SUPERMULTI 24X DVD-RW SATA DRIVE (BULK) i think i need this to install everything. Can i use an external cd/dvd drive?. It is probably a stupid question, please forgive me!

10- Case: LIAN LI (PC-V650) or any other Lian Li case i like this brand and i can buy them here in Thailand.

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-v650/

Javier thanks again amigo!

I would get 32GB RAM if you do heavy modelings.

I have 24GB RAM on old machine (old i-7 2.9Ghz), and 16GB RAM on a new machine with i-7 3930k CPU and I reach the maximum memory very quickly with 16GB RAM. I never expected this and it DOES slow down the computer when it's loading/saving/browsing.

Now I'm planning to upgrading it to 32GB and it's sad that I don't have any use for this 16GB....

1 - Your choice. As far as 670 goes, it has been replaced by the 770, which is in fact a slightly faster 680. Be careful with pricing, if you are to buy a slightly older 670, make sure you get it cheaper than it was 3-4 months ago. Don't let retailers push on you "older" hardware at the same price(it is not in reality, but it is from a marketing perspective).

2 - For CAD and general modeling it will be: 4770K > 3770K > 3930K > any Xeon. (faster to slower)

For Rendering (and rendering only, 3DS modeling is in the order above): 2P Xeon > 3930K = 8 core Xeons > 4770K > 3770K. (faster to slower)

Xeons are not in the picture unless we are talking significant core/thread advantage over the faster clocked i7s.

3 - Ok for 4770/3770, but so is the stock if you are not overclocking. If you are, it won't be enough, and you will be in need for a serious, twin tower air cooler like the Noctua ND14 series, Thermalright Silver Arrow or similarly sized and priced air coolers by Coolermaster, Akasa, Phantec,Silverstone etc, or at least a H80i or H100i and equivalents from Cooler Master or NZXT.

4 - Be careful: Z87 boards are socket 1150 boards for the newer 4xxx CPUs. The 3770K you have listed is a s1155 CPU, won't fit.

Fatality from Asrock, Republic of gamers from Asus, and in general "extreme, deluxe, OC" etc "special" models are aimed towards overclockers. If you are not planing on doing it, or doing it more than a certain "cookie cutter" level, you are wasting your money. No need to go above $150 for a very good motherboard if you are not overclocking above the average.

Pretty much all mid-range ($120~200) boards from Gigabyte / Asus / Asrock / MSI will perform identically for similar frequencies. Gigabyte is said to have the least RMA requests out of all of them for the Z77 line.

5 - Overpriced RAM with no benefit other than looks. Just like with Mobos, fancy names are there to justify increased costs. Sometimes there is a relevant increase in performance potential, sometimes there isn't. Also large heatsinks in RAM add no real benefit other than looks, and increase the potential of interference with mounting large air coolers (most water cooling solutions don't care really.

6 - Very good SSD drive, still the Samsung 840 Pro is faster.

7 - W/e...Always backup to an external storage device as often as possible, and probably use an online cloud backup for w/e you are currently working on. I use both Sugarsync and Dropbox.

8 - If you are going Cooler master PSU, go for the newer V line. Much better.

9 - Yes, you can buy a USB optical drive and install all your stuff...but more money. If there is a reason to leave the DVD out (say, for saving the 5.25" slot for something else), do it. Otherwise, the regular sata drive will do fine, and you can find them for $15-20 lately. Then again, with all prices, things might be ugly in Thailand, that's understandable.

As Javier said, plan ahead your case too: If you are to spend more than $50 (always US prices) most cases do their job OK.

Fractal Design and Corsair have some of the best all-around cases right now around the $80-$100 mark. I also like the new N series from Coolermaster. All of them make decent cases in the $50s too.

More expensive cases are usually more of a "luxury" than a necessity.

Oh, and NO MERCY!

Edited by dtolios

2 - For CAD and general modeling it will be: 4770K > 3770K > 3930K > any Xeon. (faster to slower)

For Rendering (and rendering only, 3DS modeling is in the order above): 2P Xeon > 3930K = 8 core Xeons > 4770K > 3770K. (faster to slower)

Xeons are not in the picture unless we are talking significant core/thread advantage over the faster clocked i7s.

Finally a very clear explanation and a simple way to compare different CPUs regarding use and speed... Thanks Dimitri, very helpful.

Ok guys thank you very much, Javier Dimitri and Jung!

After reading all your recommendations and checking what is available in thailand this is what i have chosen so far. Please correct me if you see any big mistake.

I was thinking of buying the stuff from USA but i don't want to deal with Thai customs. As a result i will be paying over 3.000 for a system that i can build probably for less than 2,800 in the Us. And some parts i wanted cannot be found here. I wonder if i should wait for the new mac pro

Anyways i am kind of in a hurry and need the pc up and running as soon as possible.

Here goes the list.

1. CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K Processor (12M Cache, 3.20 GHz) (NO HEATSINK) (BX80619I73930K)

2. Video Card: PNY nVidia Quadro K4000 3GB GDDR5 (VCQK4000-PB)

3. Mother Board: Asus P9X79 PRO LGA2011 / X79 / 8 x DDR3 / 4 x SATA 6Gb/s / 4 x 3Gb/s / ATX ฿9.590,00

4. Ram Memory: G.Skill 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133MHz Non-ECC DIMM XMP [sniper] (F3-2133C10D-16GSR) could not find any better or with non heatsink, very limited and over priced products in Thailand.

5. Power Supply: Corsair AX860i Digital ATX Pwr Supply 80 PLUS Platinum 860W (CP-9020037-NA)

6. Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CW-9060009-WW)

7. HDD SSD: Samsung 256GB 2.5" SSD 840 Pro Series (MZ-7PD256BW)

8. Western Digital WD Caviar Black 2TB SATA3 6Gb/s 3.5" 7200RPM 64MB (WD2002FAEX)

9. CD/DVD: Asus DRW-24D3ST Supermulti 24x DVD-RW SATA Drive

10. Case: i need help choosing the case, these are the 2 i am currently looking at.

a. Lian Li PC-A75WX Full Tower Computer Case w/Window USB 3.0 Fits HTPX Black

b. Lian Li PC-10NA ATX Computer Case Silver USB 3.0

Thank you guys again for your help, i hope this parts will work for my new computer. Please let me know what you think and any recommendation or correction will be very welcomed. Please Help me with the case!

Regards

Rafman

All looks good. I have a P9X79 pro + 3930K myself.

RAM: you won't see great performance difference from 2133 vs 1866 etc. What you might see better results from, is opting for 4x dimms, as socket 2011 CPUs support Quad Channel Ram (accessing 4x dimms interdependently, while socket 1150/1155 and AMD CPUs are dual-channel).

So, if you can squeeze in your budget 4x8GB dimms, even if those are 1866, you will see better results...actually you want see them, it is all theoretical as the PC will be fast one way or another, but if you are after the "best", do it the smart way - just saying :p

PSU: there is a mix of impressions with the AX series by Corsair. Good PSUs, but some complain about the coil whine.

Also I hope you know that with this setup and no overclocking - or w/e overclocking the H100 can give you - this PSU is overkill (too big).

Any 600-650 would work just fine now and in the future. Don't waste money.

Cases: Something that fits the H100 maybe? I don't see the PC-10NA fitting it (needs 2x120mm fan openings next to each other, preferably not behind the HDD cages where it could be fitted in this case, but with worrisome clearances and reduced air-flow).

The PC-A75WX is too big, but still, no easy placing of the H100 without modding - I could be wrong...

Also any midi tower will work...bigger is not always better.

You are looking for something with 2x140/120mm fan mounts @ top. I don't think there are many Lian-Li with that...maybe the PC-V2120?

Any other cases around? So many Corsair and Coolemaster and NZXT that work easily...

looking quite good already, but some suggestions...

4. why DDR3 2133? 1600MHz should be enough. You will see almost no difference using faster RAM. But you need 4 modules for quad channel

5. i think a 750W should do it too... http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/corsair-professional-series-ax760i-and-ax860i-review/10/

6. i would take a NXZT Kraken X60 instead... but it needs 140mm fan holes. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/nzxt-kraken-x60_4.html#sect1 But the H100i should be ok too.

10. why a big tower? do you need it? lian li is great!

edit... too late ;)

Edited by numerobis

Hey Raf Man, i can only add that you should consider all and whatever Dimitri or Numerobis say. They know this stuff as no one else.

I dont know why the links for the Coolers didnt showed up, but i just fixed them. Anyways the one you are opting for is one of the options above.... But how about considering a really good Air cooler if the Hydro 100 gives you some trouble with the cases you want?

Dimitri, will you recommend the Noctua for this?, for the cases that he wants?. I think he mentioned he is somewhat limited to some cases in Thailand. Perhaps will be easier for him to find the Cooler than the case...

For the amount of money you are spending/investing, i would also say, eyes closed, go with the 32 gig Ram...Save on the PSU or case if you can... Dimitris advice are pure wisdom.

You already decided on buying an affordable Optical Drive, but just so you know, you can also install the OS from a flash drive. As an expert from a Tech Forum recommended me, Microsoft actually provides a tool with which you can create a USB stick with the installation media of Windows 7: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool And for the rest of your software you can always use an Emulator Tool or Virtual Drive like DAEMON TOOLS to install all your software (as long as you have them as an .ISO image) Anyways, going for the Optical Drive is Easier, and is probably only around $30 bucks...

Good luck!, ...and one more thing, at the end when you buy everything, post here your final component decision with prices, so other forum users can have it as a useful reference for their own. Saludos!

Hello guys! Once again thank yo very much for you time and wisdom. I am making an big effort to buy this computer and with your help i feel better and more confident about the parts.

However i need to sort out this last 3 things before placing the order.

1-Ram: yes i am going to put 32 GB. As i said the options are very limited. Here is the link for the ram available:

http://www.invadeit.co.th/category/memory/16gb-kit-of-2/

2-PSU: If you guys agree i will look for 700W-800. Here is the link can you help me pick the best option?

http://www.invadeit.co.th/category/power-supplies/701w-800w/sort/created/desc/

3- Case: Ok here comes the problem, my wife really really wants a Liam Li case, ut the corsair Hydro seems a problem for this. Is there any other alternative for the Corsair Hydro H100 in the link below?

http://www.invadeit.co.th/category/fans-heatsinks/sort/price/desc/

Yes Javier this will be my first built, may be i can keep a log of the process and final result.

Thanks again averyone!

Hello guys, thanks again for everything, i wrote two messages before but they dont show i dont understand why.

Today i Ordered the following:

1-CPU i7-3930.

2-Power Supply: Corsair 860i (they gave me a discount so i ordered it.

3-HDD: WD 2T Black

4-HDD: SSD Samsung 840 Pro 256.

The problem is now the Case or the Cooling Fan. My wife wanted a Liam Li Case the PC-10NA ATX in particular. Here is where i can find the most products here in thailand, can you help me choose one of this that will fit this case and that will work with my setup?

Otherwise we can change the case, we looked at the following:

1-Thermaltake Urban S71 http://th.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002040

2- Corsair Carbide 330R http://www.corsair.com/us/pc-cases/carbide-series-pc-case/carbide-series-330r-quiet-mid-tower-case.html

3-CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES 400R MID-TOWER http://www.corsair.com/us/pc-cases/carbide-series-pc-case/carbide-series-400r-mid-tower-case.html

4- NZXT Switch 810 http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/111-switch-810-case.html

Will any of this work with the Hydro H100 and the rest of my setup? I tried sending the link of the store where i can order here in Thailand for for some reason they dot show, may be because of the link is why the moderator did not approve the posts? the store is called invadeit

Ok guys hope you can help me choose the right case or right cooling fan so that i can finally place my order.

I really appreciate all your help.

Regards

Rafman

I have a P9X79 pro + 3930K myself.

Sorry to interrupt, but I was just wondering if you know of any major differences between the Asus Pro version and the standard P9X79? There's about a $60 difference on Amazon between them. I started making my own list for a new 3930K build today and so far I have the standard mobo on the list. I tried comparing the two on Asus' website but could not seem to get a direct list that compares them side by side.

So for now my system will look like this:

1- Nvidia K4000.

2- CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K ordered already!

3- Cpu cooler: COOLER MASTER HYPER 412 SLIM CPU COOLER (RR-H412-16PK-R1) or Hydro H100?

5- Ram: G.skill ripjaws x series 16gb 2X8

6- Storage: SSD Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB Ordered already

7-Storage: SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.14 2TB SATA 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB CACHE 3.5" (ST2000DM001) Ordered already

8- Corsair AX 860i Ordered already

For the case i was looking at this: Thermaltake Urban S71 full-tower:

http://th.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002049

If this case is good i think i can use the Hydro H100, or should i look for another cooler?

thanks again for your help guys!

hello i guys i keep writing but the post dont show, i dont uderstand why. It says need moderator review but nothing happens after 3 days.

Thats because you are a new member...after a few posts or when you become more active your comments will appear in real time.

That thermaltake case looks great, is a quite new model, so perhaps not many people have a hands on experience. Looks big and with good noise damping...

For the amount you are spending on cooler, have you considered this one: http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Heatpipe-Bearing-Cooler-NH-D14/dp/B002VKVZ1A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1376890114&sr=1-1&keywords=noctua+cooler It is very popular cooler.

Take a look at this review, charts and conclusions... Also on the charts you can see some comparisons with the Hydro H100i andthe Noctua: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6830/cpu-air-cooler-roundup-six-coolers-from-noctua-silverstone-and-cooler-master

Sorry to interrupt, but I was just wondering if you know of any major differences between the Asus Pro version and the standard P9X79? There's about a $60 difference on Amazon between them. I started making my own list for a new 3930K build today and so far I have the standard mobo on the list. I tried comparing the two on Asus' website but could not seem to get a direct list that compares them side by side.

Minor differences, especially if you don't overclock and game.

The "Pro" has a better audio codec, 2x extra SATA 3 connectors, bluetooth and different PCIe slot configuration - no legacy PCI, and a bit better phasing in the CPU power delivery system.

The "vanilla" P9X79 has an older audio codec, no bluetooth, but adds a legacy PCI slot and Firewire port.

For the average workstation with no more than 2x SSD drives (regular HDDs and Optical Drives are leagues away from saturating SATA 2, so having more SATA 3 ports is a gimmick) and not after crazy overclocks, the "Pro" motherboard is un-needed - unless ofc you are listening to music through the built-in motherboard. The newer codec (898) is actually pretty good, beating many "dedicated" PCI/PCIe sound cards in performance. Does that worth $60? Probably not, you can buy modern sound cards slightly better than the 898 with $60.

-----

The Thermaltake case does support 240mm CLC coolers like the H100.

I would actually prefer the Noctua ND14 or Thermalright SilverArrow SB-E air-coolers over the H100 or any other CLC other than maybe the Swiftech H220 (not sold in the US any more), but huge air coolers might interfere with ram sticks having large heatspreaders.

Since you might not have access to many options in Thailand, I don't know what will be preferable in your case.

I insist in avoiding the deluxe / fatality / babality / sniper / crazy OC motherboard versions unless you plan on overclocking etc...most of them have a ton of features that you will NEVER use.

Paying more for a product doesn't make it "better" for your purposes.

Same goes for RAM...anything past 1866 is not important. Performance gains are diminishing rapidly, as ram bandwidth is not your bottleneck in pretty much anything.

Edited by dtolios

Minor differences, especially if you don't overclock and game.

The "Pro" has a better audio codec, 2x extra SATA 3 connectors, bluetooth and different PCIe slot configuration - no legacy PCI, and a bit better phasing in the CPU power delivery system.

The "vanilla" P9X79 has an older audio codec, no bluetooth, but adds a legacy PCI slot and Firewire port.

For the average workstation with no more than 2x SSD drives (regular HDDs and Optical Drives are leagues away from saturating SATA 2, so having more SATA 3 ports is a gimmick) and not after crazy overclocks, the "Pro" motherboard is un-needed - unless ofc you are listening to music through the built-in motherboard. The newer codec (898) is actually pretty good, beating many "dedicated" PCI/PCIe sound cards in performance. Does that worth $60? Probably not, you can buy modern sound cards slightly better than the 898 with $60.

Wow, thanks for the detailed answer! The only thing I'd really care about is the overclocking, but I will probably keep it below 4.5ghz. Everything else with the Pro version would be more of a 'luxury' it seems. Not sure if the sound matters much. It might become my main workstation eventually, but I will just use it as a render node to begin with. I usually like to let new builds run for a few months so I can work out any issues that come up along the way, and then switch over once I feel confident that it's reliable.

Dear Dimitri;

As per Javier Advise i try to build my pc following your advice from the forum and from PC foo, most of the products i can find over here some not as the noctua or other coolers. As of now i think i have everything ready except for a few questions. Once answered i think i could place the order for the remaining parts.

1- Nvidia K4000.

2- CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K ordered already!

3- Cpu cooler: THERMALTAKE WATER 2.0 EXTREME LIQUID CPU COOLING (CLW0217) Thermaltake confirm it will fit in the S71 case.

4- Motherboard: P9X79 Pro or Deluxe? I dont have a Lan internet connection, only WIFI that is why i am thinking about the Deluxe. does that sound ok to you guys? also the difference in price is not much.

5- Ram: will get 32 GB still not sure which ones.

6- Storage: SSD Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB Ordered already

7- WD Caviar Black 2T Ordered already

8- Corsair AX 860i Ordered already

9- LG GH24NS SUPERMULTI 24X DVD-RW SATA DRIVE

10- Case: Thermaltake Urban S71 full-tower:

11-Operating system: This computer will be mostly for cad and max, which Operating system do you recommend the best for this?

Am i missing any part for the final built?

Thanks again!

You keep messing up the motherboards.

You need a Z87 motherboard for the 4770K, not a X79, nor a Z77 one.

Asus Z87 PRO, Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H or MSI Z87 MPower would be some of my choices. If you need WiFi, get the Asus or the MSI

32GB = you can get 4x8GB kits of DDR3 1866 or 2133. Corsair, G.Skill, Crucial, Kingston etc..doesn't matter really, all are good.

Yes, the S71 will fit the Water 2.0 Extreme, just like the Corsair H100, the Coolermaster Seidon 240M etc.

Edited by dtolios

Sorry i made a mistake i ordered the i7 3990K. Should i get the pro or the deluxe mobo? Tx

Give or take the same mobo. The Deluxe has more power phases, so in theory will o/c better @ high clocks...

How high, I don't know - my P9X79 Pro does 4.6~4.7GHz on air or closed loop coolers...

For higher you will need custom water cooling loop or phase change with the 3930K - nomatter what. At 4.7 it is already 320W+ just for the CPU cooler to dissipate.

If that kind of cooling is out of the question, then probably the niche between the 2 mobos diminishes a lot, as the potential differences in O/C are unreachable due to external parameters.

WiFi N cards - better than that the Deluxe has built in - are sold on pretty good prices.

So, it all boils down to you needing the extra features = having so many more ports etc in the Deluxe. The Pro already has 2-3 times the USB (webcam/mouse/keyb/occasional scanner, USB card reader, USB HDD) and SATA (1x SSD, 1x HDD, eSata for external box) I use.

I had chosen the Asus P9X79 WS, because some reviews said that it has a good efficacy, performance and overclocking capability. And low PWM temps.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p9x79-deluxe-g1-assassin2-x79-ud5-extreme9,3086-14.html

Works great so far for more than one year now.

There is now the P9X79-E WS available but i haven't seen any reviews. But i think it should be a very interesting board.

Up to 128GB RAM and 4-way 16x sli. So i think the overclocking with 64GB could be better than for the 64GB-max boards.

Thanks again Dimitris, yes for the price difference i can buy a very good wifi N card. I think i am ready to place the order! Thank you very much i will keep you guys postes with the developments on this computer. You will be hearing again from me, for sure i will have more questions. This will be my first time to put a computer together.

Thanks for the info Numerobis, but the Ws i can not find here in Thailand!

Thanks to all you guys who helped me on this.