photo compositions/asp[ect ratios assistance pls

scostumatu

Hi all

Its all good and well to learn modelling and rendering. But a beautifully designed home and well textured/lit scene will never reach its true potential if you cannot get your compositions right. I would say im at the intermediate stages of my arch viz - and I want to take one step back, in order to take 2 steps forward. What i mean is that i want to slow down in my learning of creating more realistic images and perhaps concentrate more on photo compositions/angles/aspect ratios.

Im fairly content with all other aspects of my skills but this is one area where I struggle on each job.

I was wondering if anyone can share any insight on what i should be looking for or even if there are books of videos (free or paid) that I should look into. Im considering a photographic course to learn the basics- im really serious about learning. I happen to love photography anyway (have a entry level SLR canon 600d) but i dont have the skills to master compositions which is my next challenge. So any tips of advice you could throw my way would be much appreciated.

Im primarily interested in standard interior/exterior arch viz.

Thanks

Edited by scostumatu

Composition can be very difficult indeed, and I think it is potentially more down to experience than reading about it. One of the ways I improved my compositions was to look at dozens of architecture websites (think Dezeen, designboom, etc) and look at all the (usually stunning) professional photographs on there and what made them work.

Eventually you get so used to seeing these compositions that it starts to rub off on your own, I think. Definitely keep using your camera though, It's a sure fire way to learning things that will help your work.

Thanks heaps guys for the response. Sorry i havent acknowledged sooner - i havent been well the last few days.

Great advice and I thought as much. I am enrolling myself in a photography course over the summer and I have found some sources of colour/light theory which should help in my scene evaluations.

cheers again

The thing is, while general photography, or even Art fundamentals based theory is all-good and nice, useful, portrayal of architecture is art/craft (I prefer latter.. because everyone is "artist" nowaday..) of its own with extended rules. And architectural photography has been and still is very niche segment with very little written on about it.

I suggest following exactly architectural photographers, and just skipping the rest for now. The very top ones like Fernando Guerra, Iwan Baan, etc with unique representation will inspire and teach you a lot even if you just watch their (thousands of) pictures, you will start to see patterns and philosophy behind not restricted just on technical aspects.

Thanks heaps for the insight Juraj - youre pretty spot on... the right answers in my view are usually the logical ones...

ps - keep up the great work.

The thing is, while general photography, or even Art fundamentals based theory is all-good and nice, useful, portrayal of architecture is art/craft (I prefer latter.. because everyone is "artist" nowaday..) of its own with extended rules. And architectural photography has been and still is very niche segment with very little written on about it.

I suggest following exactly architectural photographers, and just skipping the rest for now. The very top ones like Fernando Guerra, Iwan Baan, etc with unique representation will inspire and teach you a lot even if you just watch their (thousands of) pictures, you will start to see patterns and philosophy behind not restricted just on technical aspects.